Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovegrumpybear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Going about giving up a child
    Im engaged to this great guy. We have a little girl together. He also has a little boy with another girl and he's not sure if its his. She won't let him bring his son around me and our daughter until he gets a paternity test done with his daughter. The only problem is that we know that he is the father. All he wants to know is what he has to do to go about giving up the rights to his son. I've never pushed him to meet his son. She never thought about doing child support until she found out that we are getting married. He wants to give up the rights but he's not for sure if he'll have to pay the child support once he does.
    wackymb Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2007, 12:49 AM
    No, I don't think he will have to pay child support if he gives up all rights and has nothing to do with them. Not sure though, you can call a lawyer and ask them or call the child support people. But, if the boy is his, why would he want to give up all rights? Does the child even now him? Just wondering. That would be hard on the kid. Best of luck with the ex.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Um... you're wrong.

Unless the mother has someone ready to adopt the child, he'll be paying child support whether he gives up his rights.

Parental rights and parental obligations are two different things.

All giving up rights does is make it so that you have no say in how your child support money is spent.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Nov 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Try this one, son's mother was a crackhead. The father tried to do everything he could to keep her off crack but she went behind his back. The baby was born healthy so far. She breastfed but still indulged in coke. She breastfed until he quit taking the nipple at 6 months then split and left the son with the father. Shows back up a month later and demands the kid. She was a stripper. The father was a hard worker. Loved his son did everything he could to see him after she took him . The stripper wanted more money so now the father wasn't good enough so she left with his son and moved in with a drugdealer. The father picks the son up after a few days brings him back but he hits his mom and clings to daddys neck the mom strips him from daddy and demands more money or she is disappearing. The drug dealer kicks her out after using her so now she is bouncing around with a baby boy. The father is hurting big time for his first born son and she is dragging him from place to place as a meal ticket. She will call daddy and put his son on the phone the son says dadda love dadda the mom says say goodbye you will never see him again. The father drops to one knee and tears roll down his cheek. The father gave her all his paycheck every week just to see his son for 2 days. The mother left the son when he quit taking the nipple then showed back up a month later after drugs demanded him back. The father calls the police the police give him to his mother. The father within that month lost his job and was evicted from his place. He couldn't save up money because as long as he gave her his paycheck she let him take him for the weekend. What are you supposed to do. She is still getting high and stripping but disappeared the father is still trying to come back from the losses.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Have to spread the rep Synnen ;)

But Synnen's right...
    The mother has to have someone willing to adopt the child in his place.
    A father cannot just give up his rights. It's not that simple, thankfully.

If he wants to see his son he needs to go to court and get a visitation order set... then the mother can have no say as far as him bringing his son around you and your child. (given that you are not a danger to the child).
    Bottomline, if he is looking to get out of paying child support and that's why he is wanting to give up his rights... it's not going to work.

Nov 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
    What about the scenerio above? What should the father do in that case? Pay child support to a stripper on crack blackmaling the father. Is that a give up custody situation?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 02:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbel
    what about the scenerio above? What should the father do in that case? Pay child support to a stripper on crack blackmaling the father. Is that a give up custody situation?

You need to please ask your own question, rather than piggybacking on someone else's question.

It's a completely different situation, and deserves to have its own answers and discussion.

Nov 12, 2007, 10:17 PM
    I guess I don't know how to use this site too well yet but I believe my intentions were to answer wackymb when she asks "why would a father want to give up rights?" I merely expressed a scenerio where the father is dying inside and the only way to survive was to relinquish all rights.

Nov 12, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Its called a rhetorical question. Hence the underlying meaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support / giving up rights? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old, I have a 5 year old daughter, she is raised very well, by myself and my parents. I filed for child support when she was born and never received anything. Now I just want to end everything I started. I don't care about money and I certainly don't need it. I have come a very long...

Giving Up Rights and Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex-girlfriend is pregnant and she's saying that its his. He believes that it is his. He wants to give up his rights but does not know what the law is in North Dakota. Would he still have to pay child support. We have both heard that he would but have not had any valid sources. I also...

A sad day giving a wonderful child up to protect her [ 20 Answers ]

How can igive custody to my sister inlaw to keep my daughter out of foster care. But my sister inlaw doesnot live in the same state. Would that stop anything

Giving up rights to a child [ 3 Answers ]

:D when a father gives up his rights, does he still have to pay child support? Is that the law in Illinois?

Child Support - Giving up Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

If the biological farther signs his rights away to avoid paying child support - does he has to go to court for this and will this be legal and will he no longer have to pay child support?

View more questions Search