Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 06:03 AM
    Looking to buy new inkjet printer
    Any recommendations from your personal use? I want to use this printer for general document printing but also for printing my family digital photos on thicker glossy photo paper. I don't really need an all-in-one type model as I already own a scanner.

Looking at the Canon Pixma (that's a new brand for me), HP and Epson. I'm staying away from Lexmark. Don't want to spend too much, in the $130-$ 180 USD range.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2005, 08:18 AM
    Hi Need,
    I'm high on HP products. I would take a look at the HP DJ 5940. This printer (retail $100) is a work horse for regular documents yet uses the same technology that is in many of HP's higher end photo printers. The thing that is lacking here is the ability to print from memory cards.

If you want those features you can look at the PS 8050. This has the memory card readers, LCD screen and 4x6 photo paper tray. Usually retails for $150.

A bit out of your price range is the PS 8250, but you might be able to find some deals with the holidays coming up. This uses HP's newest individual ink cartridge technology. Unlike the individual ink carts in other brands, HP uses a closed reservoir system that doesn't waste ink.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 14, 2005, 08:45 AM
    Epson do some excellent printers, some of their photo ones just take the memory card straight off so no need to boot up your PC.

Check these out for a better look:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...=yes&oid=-8165

I have used the R320 and its very easy, but a little slow.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 12:33 PM
    I'm liking the Epson Stylus Photo R300M and it's ability to print to on CD/DVD.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Nov 14, 2005, 02:28 PM
    Printers
    Hiya All
    I use an R200, same as R300 but doesn't take memory cards. Had it about 18 months now, good results all round. I have allways used compatibles, but now Epson are taking legal action against compatible manufacturers it could prove to be expensive. Full set for mine, (not the cheapest around, but in my opinion the best) are about £15 ($US 27). Originals about £60 ($105). Lot of difference. DavidB
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 03:44 PM
    Before I bought a Canon or Epson, I would take a good look at printer cartridge prices. You pay almost as much for them, and do not get a new print head with each one. I had to junk an Epson printer after the print head quit on my infrequent use.

I am refilling my HP cartridges myself. If one of them dies, I can always run to Walmart and buy another for about $25 24/7.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2005, 05:30 AM
    Printers
    HI,
    Currently have the Epson Stylus Photo 825, from Walmart for around $119.
    Great printer with photos on thick photo paper, both matte and glossy, but slow. Also takes the memory card straight into the printer. no computer needed.
    Had a HP before that, and it was good, too, but only lasted 3 yrs, before a small "cog wheel" broke. Couldn't find another.
    Got tired of refilling my own cartridges with the HP, so now buy Generic cartridges from http://www.printpal.com for my Epson.
    Works great, good quality printing, $7 for color, $6 for black.
    Best of luck.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 15, 2005, 07:00 AM
    I currently use an Epxon RX 420 all-in-one and its very good. One reason I chose this is the cheap consumables (compatible). At a local computer fair I can get each colour cart at about £2 each, and you can re-fill these. The point about the printhead is fair, you do get a new one with each HP cartridge etc, but remember the reason you don't get one with an Epson, they are more expensive printheads and therefore cost too much to put on each cartridge.

The main problem I've found with my Epson printers is that they tend to block up when not in use and use ink to clean themselves. Therefore, I would suggest that Epson's are better if you use them regularly as the carts are cheaper, but for infrequent use, HP might be the best bet.

p.s. I hate Lexmark:)
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2005, 07:32 AM
    StuMegu,

I used to have an Epson and had the same issue - I loved the printer but you are correct that the printheads did clog when not in use and require a bit of ink use for the cleaning part.

I'm leaning towards the Epson again for its CD/DVD printing feature but the availability is a little sparse. Those Canon Pixma printers are everywhere and they seem to be well reviewed.

Thanks all for your advice!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2005, 10:47 AM
    Need,

When Consumer Reports did their last printer issue, 6 of the top 10 were HPs. Canon suffers from the same print head issues that Epson does.

Casio sells a printer specifically designed to print on CDs. Staples has it for $80: http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2005, 03:38 AM
    I like HP too.

I'm currently using a 5500 at home and at work. I'm pretty sure it was only about $90.

Photos printed on the good paper look as good as film camera pics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which printer is best? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a question, slightly similar to another thread, but not quite. I'm looking to buy a printer, just for printing out Word documents, invoices, scripts and that sort of thing. I would be potentially running off about a hundred pages a week minimum. I am sick of paying extortionate...

HP Printer 950 [ 3 Answers ]

My HP All in One 950 psc printer works fine on the print function, but on copy and on scan it will say "warming up" and just sit there. I have turned off, unplugged, reset, and still nothing. Occasionally it will work, but usually not. Any suggestions? ...

Which printer should I go with? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been considering purchasing a printer that has the capability of printing onto DVDs and CDs, which I see Epson is really taking up on. Currently, I have a very nice Dell All-In-One Printer with LCD screen, etc... and it works great, but ALL cartridges must be bought from Dell, which tends...

Printer [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Epson Stylus Photo Printer that I want to install on the Windows XP. When I get to a certain point of in the installing, it reads that if I continue it may impair or destablize the operation of the system. It will let me continue or quit. Would the Epson work with the XP?

View more questions Search