Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 14, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Best Wireless Brand ?
    Hi, does anyone have any solid experiences of wireless access points (or routers) with good reliability. I personally have had problems with D-link and therefore will not use these again for a while, but does anyone have good experiences they would like to share?

TIA

Stu
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 14, 2005, 05:56 AM
    What sort of thing are you looking for ?
    Personally I run D-Link in the office and had no problems at all, totally set and forget.

At home I did run a D-link 604 DSL Gateway and found it to be fine.
    I recently upgraded to a USR 9106 GAteway as I needed something that would handle higher bandwidth as I use an 8 meg connection.
    This too has been excellent.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2005, 06:46 AM
    Buffalo is meant to be a good brand. Only had experience with one of their products but it was a piece of cake to setup etc. Mmmmm... cake.

Nov 14, 2005, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    What sort of thing are you looking for ?
    I need to extend the range of an existing wired LAN in a company and would like Access Points with good solid connection reliability. The problem I had was about 9 months ago with a couple of D-link Access points that kept dropping the connection every few minutes, tried all sorts of different channels and locations, but still happened. Maybe I was unlucky with the batch but both had the same faults. Needless to say the customer wasn't very happy!

Thanks Lee, I've not heard of buffalo, I'll check them out!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2005, 08:26 AM
    I've been using Linksys and have been happy with them.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 14, 2005, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    I need to extend the range of an existing wired LAN in a company and would like Access Points with good solid connection reliability. The problem I had was about 9 months ago with a couple of D-link Access points that kept dropping the connection every few minutes, tried all sorts of different channels and locations, but still happened. Maybe I was unlucky with the batch but both had the same faults. Needless to say the customer wasn't very happy!

Thanks Lee, I've not heard of buffalo, I'll check them out!
    The only problem I did have with my D-Link 604 was it too dropped connection, but this was fixed by a firmware upgrade

Nov 15, 2005, 02:05 AM
    AH! The old firmware update fix:) , as I remember I did this at the time, but to no avail. Too Late, Too late was the cry! We ended up putting all wired connections in (at great cost) so Nooooooooooo! To D-link
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Wireless Routers
    Hi,
    If you are interested in the top ten rated routers, with comments about each, here is a link:

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...80211ghome.htm

Also has price comparisons.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

What brand air conditioner is the best [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering buying a new air conditioner unit for my house. The current one is at least 13 years old and keeps giving me problems. Which brand is the best?

Where shall I buy online and what brand [ 7 Answers ]

Its very interesting I have been using an automatic Nikon D-200 camera, that I purchased online from Microglobe- retailer of photographic equipment in London UK, result is excellent, but someone advised me to check manual one, and it would return you better result than automatic, I am confused, is...

Brand new kitten care... what do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

Our 8 month old cat just had two kittens this morning, unfortunately one was stillborn, but the other survived. Of course, I am now paranoid about this one. Never been through this before, is there something I should be doing for this kitten? Wondering if I should move him/her from the corner...

View more questions Search