Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123mmb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Ceilin fan speed switch with 8 wire connections
    How to connect a fan switch with 8 feed-in correctly if previous owner had wired incorrectly?

I could not find any information that could help me so far.

I have been experimenting with the wires but I am afraid I might hurt the box with 5 wires that is obviously important.:confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 01:14 PM

Talk about needing help, What is the make and model of the fan. I suspect that the box you see is for a remote control. How is power brought the fan?
    123mmb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 09:15 PM
    11/04/2007

Hi There!

I messed with the fan until 1am trying to figure it out.

There are no MGF labels on the fan body and no serial #s but I think it might be a Home Depot Hamilton Bay flush mount 52" 5 blade fan with a light kit.

There are 5 wires coming out from the little blake circ. Box Pink is pigtailed to the forward or backward switch only. All black box wires have connections to the forw/back switch. The Colors are Pink, Yellow, Orange, Grey, and Purple. Yellow is pigtailed with one to the forwd/back switch and two tin tipped connections for the fan switch. All other colors are one pigtail w/ tin tip for the switch. Looks like the live Black wire was pigtailed with tin for 2 connections to the switch.

I stared experimenting (VERY CAREFULLY) with the usual combinations and I continued switching around until I got the fan blades to move in some way.

Since I could only find 3 or 4 wired instructions I tried to match those patters of color with mixed results. Some times I thought I smelled burning and I changed things around many times. What I ended up with is
    First position L top Orange, bottom Black.
    1 top Black, Bottom Yellow,
    2 Top Yellow, Bottom Grey,
    3 Top nothing, Bottom Purple.

I have a functioning fan that starts with Low, then High,and then Medium speeds. I am not going to try anymore patterns unless someone is sure what it should be. I'm just happy to have more than one speed! :D
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
    There is no way to confirm the wiring for sure unless I can identify the fan. Sounds like you did good.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan pull chain switch replacement [ 20 Answers ]

I recently changed the 3 speed 4 wire switch on a ceiling fan as the old one had a broken collar. I purchased a replacement at Lowe's. The replacement worked at high speed only. I was careful in noting which color wires went into slots 1,2, 3 & L. Thinking that the new switch was defective, I...

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Ceiling fan switch - 4 speed fan sold by sears [ 1 Answers ]

I pulled the chain out of the switch on my Sears ceiling fan. Any suggestions on where to find a switch replacement or adapt to something else? Sears no longer stocks the part, I have tried Ace Hardware, Home Depot and local ceiling fan store.

View more questions Search