Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DD1946 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Civil Law
    Can a lawsuit be filed against a person and a judgement entered without the defendant's knowledge? We received no summons or any court documents. If not, where do we go from here?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2007, 06:46 PM
    That is a yes and know, a person is suppose to be served with a court summoms, but if for some reason they did not have a address for you, or if they lied to the court and said they did not have an address.
    But you are suppose to be served.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Hello DD:

If you look around here, you'll find some great advice from mr yet about what you should do.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Was a judgement entered against you? If a notice is generated, whether you receive proper service notwithstanding, and you don't appear in court, then a default judgement is entered against you. If this is what happened then you need to file a motion to vacate judgement due to improper service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil law [ 2 Answers ]

back in the late 90's, I had a civil lawsuitthat was won by the person taking a civil lawsuit against me. I was paying a certain amount to them monthly but then I had a stroke. As of recently, the lawyers that represented the other person, have been calling and asking for the lump sum(which is a...

Civil Law [ 1 Answers ]

After you file a lawsuit in the court room, before your statue of limitations runs out, what's the average time it takes for the court to review the case and set a court date?

New Law coming in about common law spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I understand a new law will be coming soon, to protect the common law spouse. Given similar rights as if you were married. Can somebody help!! I would like to know the date when the law will be in place and what this will entail?

Civil law [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to fire your landlord?:o

Civil Law Suite [ 1 Answers ]

In the State of Texas, how long does a defendant have to file a Vacate of Judgment on a lawsuite after the judgement has been issued by the court? Thank you for your help

View more questions Search