Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colbey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 09:49 PM
    Leaking shower stall
    Have a corner, "neo-angle" shower stall that's a few years old. It's begun leaking from the metal "frame" -- mostly from where a plastic "cap" goes on (cap is missing). It's 1/4 inch or so above the molded part, next to the door, but in the side frame, not the frame that holds the door. It also leaks, on that same side, close to the wall.

It doesn't look like water from the door frame could could into the side frame, so I think the leak must be on that side "panel" somewhere. I've recaulked it about 5 times. I've even caulked almost 5 feet up the inside of that frame, along the seam that doesn't usually get caulked, and even over the part where the rubber piece snugs around the glass. It STILL leaks!

I cannot figure out where the water is coming from? Can anyone help?

Sorry I don't know what to call all the parts. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to describe.

Oh, I've tried regular caulk, the "press-in" tape caulk, and this last time what the hardware guy said was the best they had -- 100% silicone, cleaned it all beforehand, made sure all the old caulk was gone, and let it dry for 72 hours.

Help!

Nov 14, 2005, 11:52 PM
    Guess this really stumped everyone else, too.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2005, 02:01 PM
    "guess this really stumped everyone else, too."

It's not that. It just one of those jobs where you have to be on site to track the leak. Sorry that we can't help with questions where we have to be on site . Tom
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 15, 2005, 03:11 PM
    Like Tom said you have to be there to track the leak. One way you can do it is if you have a hand held shower massage shower head. Start low & slow in a corner on the door unit and work your way up around the unit and hopefully see where it leaks . If you don't have that type of shower head they are cheap to buy & easy to install & remove when your done if you don't like it. (then you repack it & take it back where you got it when your done.. shhhhh LOL) Better than caulking the heck out of it or causing unwanted damage to the bath floor area, etc.

Nov 15, 2005, 04:16 PM
    Yeah, I was thinking I might have to do that, and trying to think of a pitcher or something I could use to pour water slowly over the different areas. It's already done some damage to the wall paneling and the tile floor.

It's just so frustrating -- if all the seams are caulked, how can water leak?

But thanks for the confirmation from both of you that this is the next step.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile Shower stall leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak. It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself. The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that...

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Shower stall leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be leaking at front by door. Do all shower stalls need concrete it seems to have give in the floor at this time has nothing under shower base what to do?

Shower Stall upstairs Leaking below when used infrequently.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: We had our shower stall upstairs redone. The Contractor ripped apart the old one and built a brand new stall with tiles. The first time it leaked probably when it was used the first few times, then we could not recreate the leak - this was in Nov.2004. In Dec 04, we went on a month...

View more questions Search