Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zack7983 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Unknown Lawsuit Sent To Collections! Proper Service?
    A very good friend of mine just found out that collections is after her for a settlement from a lawsuit that she apparently lost. She had no idea the lawsuit ever happened. She was never served and never even had a chance to defend herself. What can we do? It sounds like the judgment has already been given, do we file an appeal? Any and all help would be great. Trying to get money for a lawyer would be so difficult, as many of you probably know... so I'm trying to help her out as best I can.

Thanks

Zack
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
    [QUOTE=zack7983]A very good friend of mine just found out that collections is after her for a settlement from a lawsuit that she apparently lost. She had no idea the lawsuit ever happened. She was never served and never even had a chance to defend herself. What can we do? It sounds like the judgment has already been given, do we file an appeal? Any and all help would be great. Trying to get money for a lawyer would be so difficult, as many of you probably know... so I'm trying to help her out as best I can.

When you say "collections is after her" what do you mean? What papers has she received or how did she find this out? Also - what type of lawsuit?

Need more information in order to know what you are explaining.

If you go to the Courthouse and ask to see the file they will show you the Affidavits of Service of any and all papers involved (as well as all the documents) - you have to know the circumstances before you can appeal. It is very, very hard to get a judgment set aside.

I would have no idea why she didn't receive (minimally) the summons, complaint and judgment (if there is one).
    zack7983 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Thanks for the start, I am getting more info from her today, she just found out and told me last night. I will update as soon as I can.

Thanks again, your response is much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper grounding for 400A service and adjoining panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 400A service panel on the outside wall of a garage. For the time being it will only be supplying power to a 125A panel located on the inside wall of that garage. The 125A panel will be mounted inside the wall directly behind the 400A service, and the two will be connected by...

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Collections [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Utah. I have a hospital debt that is large enough that I cannot pay what the hospital wants me to pay each month and they have advised me that it will go to a collection agency. My Question is: "If i make the monthly payments i can afford to the collection agency, can they still...

View more questions Search