Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TruckD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Ceiling fan repair
    Hi there. I have a remote control (no pull) hampton bay ceiling fan. I originally hooked it up to a wall plug with a dimmer. Bad! It worked for a while until the little black box blew up! I then changed it to a wall plug without a dimmer and replaced the little box. Since then, the remote works fine with the light... on/off dimmer, but the fan speed has been stuck on high... no off/med or low. High speed all the time. What do I need to do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Not bad, very very bad. You can't mix a dimmer with a muilti speed remote. You fried a capacitor. Do you know your way around electricity and repair?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Yes he fried the capacitor but he already replaced it. It's possible you did not wire the replacement capacitor correctly, how many wires does it have? It's also possible you simply fried the remote circuitry with the dimmer and you're stuck.

Ceiling fan capactors - troubleshooting and resources - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan repair [ 15 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling with remote control. It is a rather large fan installed on a vaulted ceiling. The fan model is AC 385 (not sure if 385 is part of the model number). It has two light fixtures. One on above the fan and one below. Both are also remote controlled. I vacuum dust from...

Ceiling Fan Repair [ 3 Answers ]

My fan operates properly in the reverse direction (counter clock-wise) but only hums in the forward direction (clock-wise). Is the directional switch malfunctioning or could it be something else? Figured that if it ran in reverse, the motor windings & capacitor are OK.

How to repair ceiling fan in the Kitchen. [ 1 Answers ]

The ceiling fan in the Kitchen with light is out, the light is on, but when I pull the chain for Fan to turn/spin, it does not work. How do we find out the problem and repair?

Ceiling fan repair man [ 4 Answers ]

Dude you are a freakin genius. Ive been sitting here for 3 hours trying to figure out my wiring issue. I read one of your responses that simply said He has 4 ceiling wires, and a receiver that connects with two wires (to the ceiling). The receiver also connects with four wires to the fan. ...

Ceiling fan repair [ 1 Answers ]

How to repair a ceiling fan .it hums so it has power ,will not spin .What next?

View more questions Search