Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coron2u Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x?
    Hi,
    I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes.
    I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2 (W2C) form for the year 2006. So, now the problem begins, what should I do with this w2c form? On the W2C form it is said I should fill and send in the amended return form (1040X) to the IRS if I have already filed my return for the year 2006 ( which I have). But when I asked around, I was informed in order to get a refund I had to send in the 843 form...
    Now I'm not sure as to which form I should be sending in. Anyone know what I should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

-c
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
    -C:

DID you get a refund of the Social Security and Medicare taxes that were improperly withheld?

If not, then the Form W-2C does you no good and in fact hampers you submission for a refund from the IRS using Form 843.

Go back to your employer and ASK FOR THE MONEY!
    coron2u Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I haven't gotten the refund. When I informed my employer that an error had happened, they gave me the W2C. I have now asked for the refund. Still waiting for a response. Just in case they don't refund me, is there any way I can get the amount that they deducted from me back?
    Thanks
    -c
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
    You can submit the Form 843 with the original W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What form should I fill? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my third year in the states. I came as a visiting teacher under a J-1 visa. What form should I fill? Thanks

Form 843 abatement explanation [ 1 Answers ]

Due to a business that went bad I have 4 quarters of 941 taxes that are unpaid. I spoke with the IRS and they said to pay the tax owed and file Form 843 with a request for abatement of penaties and interest. I am in the process of doing this but would like any insight, hints, information, etc on...

Should I fill Form 8843 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student on F1 visa and studying in united states since August 2001. I am currently a resident alien for tax purposes only. I have a question, as I am supposed to fill form 1040 and not 1040 NR EZ, should I file form 8843 along with the 1040 form or not? I understand that...

Form 1040X for 2004 and 2005 [ 1 Answers ]

I have to fill out the form 1040X for the years of 2004 and 2005, I do not have the money to pay a tax preparer, so I would like to prepare the form on my own. Would someone be able to direct me to a filled out example of form 1040X? Or could someone show me how to fill out the form...

Last date to file Form 843 [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any last date to file Form 843(to claim Social and Medicare taxes that have been withheld while on OPT)? Thanks,

View more questions Search