Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Does holiday decorating fall under the same sort of category as babysitting?
    Okay... I kind of scanned looking for an answer, but didn't see anything that really looked like what I want to know.

I was laid off this last month, and have had a hard time with finding a comparable job (the reason I'm getting from a lot of places is budgeting until after the 1st of the year).

In the meantime, I have hatched something of a plan to make some money over the holiday season. I'd like to offer my services as a decorator/shopper/gift-wrapper/general-holiday-elf.

I have come up with what I believe to be reasonable pricing, and am just going to be working via word-of-mouth (networking through people at my old job, relatives, etc).

This has the potential to make me quite a bit of money--if I hit the optimistic side of my plan, I could make as much in a couple months as I would in half a year. I realize I would have to set aside money for taxes, and would ask an accountant about that, especially since I would need to be paid in cash :) I've spoken with my insurance company, and they seem to think that personal liability should be fine at this time, without needing to take out business insurance unless I establish an actual company.

However--do I need a small business license to do this? Do I actually have to establish this as a company before I know whether this idea actually gets off the ground? Or could I treat it like babysitting money--and not have to actually have a business to get paid for my services.

I'm sorry if this sounds confusing... I've got the idea, and how to go forward, I just am not sure whether I need to legally do anything more.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 01:10 AM
    I don't think that you would need a business license to do what you are proposing. I have a number of businesses where I provide services of various kinds for people. Where I live, and because I don't operate out of a store front of some kind, a license is not required. Liability insurance, of course, is a must have.

Most of the business that I get comes from the free advertising that I do on the Internet. A lot of the best free sites on which to advertise are listed on the following link, if you might be interested in advertising your business over the Internet. If you would like more information as far as how to word ads and developing your small business, please let me know. Thank you!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...rs-103007.html
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 3, 2007, 01:17 AM
    Thanks, Clough!

I'm doing this now because I actually have the perfect opportunity to--and this is as good a time as any to find out if it would actually be profitable!

My husband and I are going to talk about it some more over the weekend, but I may get back to you at some point and run some stuff by you.

Thanks again... I really do appreciate your input.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 01:19 AM
    I agree with Clough. I think that what you are doing is more like contract work :) so as long as you keep accurate records and pay your taxes you shouldn't have to be concerned. If you contact your local town or city hall they should be able to tell you what your local business licence requirements are though.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hugs, Didi
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Thanks, Clough!

I'm doing this now because I actually have the perfect opportunity to--and this is as good a time as any to find out if it would actually be profitable!

My husband and I are going to talk about it some more over the weekend, but I may get back to you at some point and run some stuff by you.

Thanks again...I really do appreciate your input.
    You are welcome, and thank you, Synn! I would be glad to help you! I love to help people who are trying to be entrepreneurs at whatever! I appreciate your self-motivation!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decorating my lounge [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me - my lounge is 18ft X 10ft it has a fitted carpet in teal colour - what colour should I paint the walls - also I would like a feature wall - what colour should the suite and curtains be??

Decorating my bird cage with 2 birds? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello :) I have a pretty big bird cage, and 2 parakeets. My question is - How do I decorate my bird cage safely? Because I had this what I thought really great idea, and now I'm not so sure if its as good as I thought.- Ok, I wanted to make it as realistic as I could. I wanted to put either...

Interior decorating [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of some good sites to find ideas on decorating a bedroom with the beach theme? Or on winery kitchen themed ideas? Thanks.

Kitchen paint decorating [ 2 Answers ]

We're refacing cabinets with Doormark wild apple (brownish-red cherry) cabinets. We have light oak floor & bordeaux granite (darkish - brown/red/black) countertops. What paint color is suggested between cabinets and countertop? We also have an island with picture-framed sides to be painted. ...

View more questions Search