Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 2, 2007, 08:43 AM
    The expanding universe
    So, I know what the big bang IS. But my question is probably more a matter of opinion.

We know that space-time exists, but we don't know for sure what, if anything can exist outside of space-time, or if there even IS such a thing as being outside of space-time. Since the universe is expanding, that may mean that space-time is also expanding as well.

I pose this question: What do you think happens to the actually physics of the universe as it expands, regarding space-time, matter, and energy?

Please, no religious comments, unless they actually answer the question or are directly related to it.
    DonnieLSD Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Nov 2, 2007, 08:50 AM
    That's a good question and I've wondered about that many times. I've heard the farther you get out into open space, away from objects with gravitational pull (which supposedly affects time) the faster it will relatively go by. For example, what seems seems like 5 years outside of you solar system would seem like 70 years inside it.

Then there's the dark matter theory, they believe that there is massive amounts of anti-matter all throuout the universe, to make most of it up in fact, that can't be detected by current methods.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:55 AM
    I'm going to have to get out my Steven Hawking books for this one!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieLSD
    Thats a good question and I've wondered about that many times. I've heard the farther you get out into open space, away from objects with gravitational pull (which supposedly affects time) the faster it will relatively go by. For example, what seems seems like 5 years outside of you solar system would seem like 70 years inside it.

Then there's the dark matter theory, they believe that there is massive amounts of anti-matter all throuout the universe, to make most of it up in fact, that can't be detected by current methods.
    Anti-matter is easily detectable. Dark matter is something other than ordinary matter or anti-matter.

To answer your question, Chris, I think "not very much" is the best answer.. I'm not sure why you would expect something to happen? Points in space move apart from each other in time. Mass and Energy and things aren't really effected.

Nov 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Thats a good question and I've wondered about that many times. I've heard the farther you get out into open space, away from objects with gravitational pull (which supposedly affects time) the faster it will relatively go by. For example, what seems seems like 5 years outside of you solar system would seem like 70 years inside it.

Ah yes, antimatter. I know they've been doing a lot more with Antiprotons and positrons as of late, with particle accelerators. I seriously hope they're able to find better ways to study them, so we might be able to detect them, if they exist.

I actually did read a little bit about time dialation. It's basically that time for one body becomes slower at greater speeds. I don't remember the exact mathematics of it, but a good example we had was if you were emitting flashes of light every second, and a craft was traveling away from you at say, 1/2 the speed of light, you could calculate that they wouldn't receive the flashes as fast as you were sending them because of the time it takes light to travel, so you were basically in different times, relative to one another.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 09:02 AM
    My input:
    Some scientists believe that there must have been several big bangs. Due to the theory of inverted expansion. It sounds sort of strange something expanding inwards, but it makes sense if you think about it on a 3D level. This is the way I see it, take a an orange for example. At the top is your big bang. Then, it expands outwards, but whilst expanding from the top, it is contracting at the bottom. This shows that this universe is contantly moving, towards itself.

Nov 2, 2007, 09:11 AM
    By several big bangs, do you mean that one happened, then the universer collapsed on itself, then another big bang happened. Because I was always wondering about that, won't the universe eventually become one super-massive black hole?

Nov 2, 2007, 09:20 AM
    by several big bangs, do you mean that one happend, then the universer collapsed on itself, then another big bang happened. because i was always wondering about that, won't the universe eventually become one super-massive black hole?
    I thoght a read something a few years ago about this being incorrect. Like, they mesaused the amount of spectrum shift and figure out that the speed of the universe expanding is increasing, not decreasing.

Nov 2, 2007, 09:23 AM
    I think I heard something like that as well, but at some point there may be a black hole massive enough to start pulling even the most distant objects toward it. Like when different galaxies collide and the black holes in their centers combine. Even just recently they discovered a black hole much bigger than they thought that they could/would find.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Everythign is pulling everything else towards everything. That's how gravity works. However there is this stuff called dark energy (no relation to dark matter) which is pushing everything apart even faster than the gravity pull it together, this is causing the acceleration of the expansion of space. Nobody knows the source of this "dark energy".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expanding current concrete patio [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 10 x 10 concrete patio that sits against the house. I want to expand the patio on the three uncovered sides. I live in the mid-west( Lafayette, Indiana) so I need to account for hot, humid summers and cold freezing winters. My questions are: 1)Do I make the surrounding additions one...

Expanding already [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone.. Just wondering if anyone could help me.. I am 7 weeks pregnant and I'm already expanding round the middle.. is this normal?

Expanding washer [ 3 Answers ]

What happens to the hole in the centre of a metal washer when the washer is heated? The washer expands but does it expand into the hole and the hole get smaller, does the hole get bigger or remain the same size? Thanks Chris

Website Tree List not expanding [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone check the url: http://v8doc.sas.com/sashtml/ I've downloaded the site by using the webcopier onto my local system as I can't refer the manuals by connecting to the internet always. Now I was able to download the website, but when I open the site (default.html) page, the tree...

View more questions Search