Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ziry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 04:29 AM
    Water leaking through kitchen ceiling
    We live in military housing. The buildings are old, old enough to have had boiler rooms when they were first built. When we moved in the bathtub would take an hour to drain even 1/4 of the water from the tub. We tried everything ourselves then called housing and had them come fix it... the water still doesn't necessarily drain quickly but eh. The other night the water backed up to midcalf level during a shower. My husband plunged it - like the repair guy did - and got it flowing a little faster. Not even fifteen minutes later I looked up at the kitchen ceiling and noticed that the paint was bubbling in a 12inch circle. Not one big bubble, but a ring of good sized ones. There were also two more about three feet away. My husband poked the largest bubble and it burst and water went everywhere. We called housing and the repair guy came, didn't even want to look at the bubbled up kitchen ceiling or the damp drywall that's up there, and he installed a splashguard. Now, I've seen bathroom floors that had too much splashover in the floor. It gets moldy, and squishy to the touch. Ours is bone dry, completely sealed, there's no mold. Now, after every shower the ceiling in the kitchen where the paint is gone gets damp and then starts to dry out. I know the faucet knob that controls water temp and such is leaking, as it was dripping steadily when the repair guy left. What I want to know is what it could possibly be. My daughter is allergic to mold and the leak is right under where her room meets the bathroom. Our kitchen ceiling looks like it's starting to mold a little too and I'm worried about her health... and apparently housing is not. Is there anyway I could prove it's not simple spashover to get the underlying problem fixed and prevent future health problems?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
    You have a hidden leak in the ceiling, go over his head and report it to a higher authority.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Bathroom Plumbing leaking through Kitchen Ceiling! [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago, my girlfriend emptied a vase down our kitchen sink(1st floor-below bathroom) and in doing so, completely clogged our plumbing. Our bathroom(2nd floor - above kitchen) was completely clogged. Both shower and sink would not drain and the same goes for the kitchen sink. After a...

Plumbing, water leaking from kitchen ceiling/wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have water coming down from kitchen ceiling (under bathroom) and the outside wall has a soaked through patch clearly visible at the bathroom floor level. The insurer's plumber says the job requires a 'dig out' - what does this mean? I understand I have a 'lead' pipe under the bathtub that may...

Water leaking into ceiling on 1st floor [ 5 Answers ]

Water sometimes drips from the bathroom upstairs into my dining on th 1st fl. What can I do? I already had the ceiling taken down, but we can't determine where its coming from. It only drips sometimes. (very strange) I'm just to tired of this problem and don't know what to do, the bathroom is...

Drain vent leaking water in attic and onto ceiling [ 13 Answers ]

I noticed a leak on my bedroom ceiling and traced it to a drain ventilation system looping though my attic. It does not seem to be connected to the main vent stack. It seems to be leaking at an elbow joint. The drain vent is PVC and I'm guessing is connected to my tub and washer drains and...

View more questions Search