Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolhand492002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Retirement for military spouses
    A lady to whom I met the other day, was explaining to me that her husband spent 26 years in the army,and is now deceased, and all she gets is 96.00 a month , is this right, is this all this poor 78 year old lady gets after her husband retired fro the military with 26 years under his belt?
    Thank you for your time and cooperation..
    Yours truly
    John Warford
    htrod68 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand492002
    A lady to whom I met the other day, was explaining to me that her husband spent 26 years in the army,and is now deceased, and all she gets is 96.00 a month , is this right, is this all this poor 78 year old lady gets after her husband retired fro the military with 26 years under his belt??
    Thank you for your time and cooperation..
    yours truely
    John Warford
    Suggest she contact the nearest Dept Of Veterans Affairs Office: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs The main offices are regional with offices in each state. Not sure why just $96. The charts I've seen look like she should be getting anywhere from $633-1033/month. The military member probably retired in the early 70's when the Survivor Benefit Plan came into effect in 1972. However, without all the facts (rank, date of retirement, type of retirement: honorable, etc) it's impossible to answer what she's entitled to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military retirement spouses benefits [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I devorced my husband in 1999 and am receiving only 21% of his army retirement why? We were married for 20 years, someone figured it out to be only 5,000 some odd days and that is not right. What do I do?

Investing for retirement from the military [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps with just under five years to retirement. Early on in my career, my wife and I began investing in separate IRA's through Pioneer investments (PINDX). We also invest monthly in a regular taxable fund (the same one). We started our investment in 2001...

Calling all Military Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I was just thinking (mistake # 1 I know) If there are any military spouses out there. Was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving the rest of us some insight. Maybe answer some questions. 1) How do you do it? When your other half is away. How hard is it actually. From the emotional...

Garnishing Spouses Wages [ 2 Answers ]

My sister has an old debt from 3yrs ago. She is now married and the debt collector has told her they are going to garnish her and her new husbands wages. Can they garnish his wages for her old debt? Debt is a credit card and her husbands name was NEVER added on. Thanks! Nashville, TN

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search