Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fantasma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 06:11 PM
    International sell of home ? Inherited? Bringing money to the states.
    Hi everyone, I am trying to get some advise on a house sale. I currently live in Ca. with my brother and mother. My Dad passed away 4 years ago in another country (Ecuador). My father lived in the U.S.A. and also in Ecuador however he owned a house where my mom and dads name is on.
    We are about to sell the home and reacive a big amount of money 700k and we want to bring the money to the states and invest.
    -Do we have to pay taxes to bring the money over?? If so how much?
    -can we open an account and just get it transfered/wired to an offsea account or to my regular checking account in the states??
    -What are the tax laws that involve these type of transactions.
    ***I am basically inheritang this correct?? The house is paid for no balance... I am very stressed out , Should I hire a tax lawyer or a financial advisor??
    I know these are a lot of questions but if some one can kind of give me an idea on how to go about this...
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 12:57 PM
    First and foremost, you need to contact a LOCAL tax professional with experience in estate taxes and California and federal income taxes. This is NOT an issue that should be worked with advice from a free tax forum.

That said, you will probably owe some transaction-based taxes in Ecuador, and possibly some income and/or inheirtance taxes in Ecuador as well.

In my opinion, no U.S. estate or California inheritance taxes are due because the size of the estate is so small.

There MAY be some tax due for the capital gains on the sale, but those will be minimal because the basis of the house was "stepped up" to the fair market value of the house on the date your father died.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should we sell our home to save money [ 5 Answers ]

Hello- My husband and I have an oppurtunity to sell our home and pay off all of our debt and still have a little saving left over. We were going to move into my parents home and they are moving into there 2nd home. We are going to just take over paying the utilites while we are there. Its an...

International Inheritance Coming to States [ 3 Answers ]

If you are a recipient of a large inheritance coming from International to States and you open an account to receive the funds what are your obligations to the US if any upon receiving this money? If you never had a lot of money before who do you turn to for advice on handling your money? If you...

Do I pay taxes on inherited money from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I might inherit money from my father who was a pakistani citizen. I am a dutch citizen, but a legal resident in the usa. I am wondering if I have to pay taxes over the amount I receive.

Tax on Inherited Money in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Does a new permanent resident of Canada (immigrated to Canada for less than a year) have to pay taxes on his/her inherited money when he/she wants to transfer it to Canada? I would appreciate any insight on the matter. Regards

Bringing a new puppy home [ 3 Answers ]

I bought an AKC chocolate lab last night brought her home tried to get her to go to the bathroom and she never did put her in the crate she sleep all night when I got up to go to work I took her outside and she still hasn't gone is this normal?

View more questions Search