Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cralmic Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2005, 05:22 AM
    Pipes vibrating
    Hello,

A few things have recently started...
    1) Our water pressure system seems to be acting up. When you turn on as faucet, the water pump kicks in. My understanding is the pressure in the tank keeps this from happening until below a certain point. I checked the pressure in the water tank and it was set at 55#.

2) Probably related to above, but the water pipes have been vibrating when the tank is running. When I watch the tank re-pressurize, it seems to be straining? Another thing I noticed is that the water pressure gauge is broken and needs replaced.

Thanks, Mike
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Good morning Mike,

Let's start with the basics. You said," I checked the pressure in the water tank and it was set at 55#."
    Let me explain the function of a bladder tank. Pressure and bladder tanks provide a air cushion that produces water pressure in your system so your pump doesn't kick on every time you draw a glass of water. A bladder tank has a neoprene membrane in the center. As the pump puts water into the bottom half of the bladder tank the membrane compresses the air in the top half. When the pressure reaches the cut off point in the control box the pump shuts down. However you still have between 40 to 50 pounds of pressure pushing the water out to your system. As the pressure drops in the tank when you make a draw the pump kicks on and everything starts over again.

To check for a ruptured membran take something metal and start rapping at the bottom of the tank and work upwards. You will hear a "clunk" in the bottom half full of water. On the upper half you should hear a "clink or clang" because the upper half should have nothing but air in it. IF the sound doesn't change or changes close to to tank top then the bladder tank must be replaced. Your air setting on the tank should be 2 pounds UNDER the cut in point in the pressure control box. If your pressure control has a 20 PSI cut in and 40 PSI cut out the tank pressure should read 18 PSI. This should be done with the pump off and no pressure in the system. So shut the pump off, bleed the pressure off and check the pressure again. And replace that pressure gauge. That gives you a reading on how well your system's operating. Let meknow what you find and if that don't fix those vibrating pipes then we'll address that next. Regards, Tom

Nov 12, 2005, 10:45 AM
    Tom, Thanks. I had already turned the water off and was draing the tank so I cannot do the bang methed on the side of the tank... will keep in mind for future reference. Thanks. I will keep you posted on what I find. I believe my bladder is shot also. Can I replace this or do I have to replace the entire tank. I have been told for a quick remedy I can bleed the tank, repressurize to 20# or so then then refill and it will lst for 3-6 months.

Mike
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2005, 11:54 AM
    I believe my bladder is shot also. Can I replace this or do I have to replace the entire tank?"

The membrane's not replaceable. You will have to replace the entire tank

" I have been told for a quick remedy I can bleed the tank, repressurize to 20# or so then then refill and it will lst for 3-6 months."

This is false. The only "remedy" for a ruptured membrane is to replace the bladder tank.

Nov 12, 2005, 11:57 AM
    I'm back... As I mentioned, I drained the tank, replaced the gauge and checked the system as it came back on. The pressure in the tank read 30# when electric was off and water drained. It's a pretty good sized tank. When I turned the water back on, the pump ran to 58# then shut off. I turned faucets on and the pump kicked in at 36# and ran to 58#. For whatever reason it seems to be running OK now? Any ideas why?

Thanks again, Mike
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2005, 03:37 PM
    "The pressure in the tank read 30# when electric was off and water drained.
    For whatever reason it seems to be running ok now? Any ideas why?"

You dropped the pressure in the bladder tank back to where it shoud be and now you system's acting normal. Good job! Tom

Nov 12, 2005, 04:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thank You. Mike
    mccauley63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2012, 10:05 AM
    When my well kicks on the pipes vibrate until the pump turns off at full pressure.
    Why does the pipes vibrate
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2012, 10:17 AM
    What's the static charge in your bladder tank? It should read 2 PSI UNDER the cut in point of your control box with the power shut off and a cold water faucet opened to bleed off the pressure. Back, To you, Tom
    mccauley63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
    I used a tire pressure gauge that reads 38 pds. My pressure switch is a 40 to 60
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2012, 12:05 PM
    Do you have a check valve or a foot valve? Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud vibrating pipes after flushing! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there! Lately when we flush the toilet, the cold water pipe starts vibrating furiously, and I don't know what I can do to stop it. Anyone know what the problem and solution is? I'll check threads and see if I can pick up some wisdom on this listserv, Thank you EVER so much for...

Vibrating Shower Pipes [ 3 Answers ]

When the shower is running and someone turns on any tap or flushes any toilet in the house, the shower pipes begin to vibrate making a pulsating knocking kind of noise. The showers have the water regulators and the shower water controls are the single dial turning type. So usually we turn the...

Vibrating pipes when using shower [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been having trouble with my pipes vibrating when using the stand up shower in my condo aprtment unit. To give some background info, my washroom has both a bathtub (with a faucet and two taps, hot and cold) and a separate stand up shower (with a showerhead and two taps, hot and...

New bath fixture - pipes vibrating! [ 5 Answers ]

We've recently remodeled our 50 year old bathroom. Replaced our tub shower with a new single handle blending valve. Now we're totally freaked out because the pipes appear to be vibrating when we set the handle for a warm blend of water. No vibration when full hot, or full cold, just when it's...

Vibrating pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a problem with an extremely loud, machine gun type sound in my water pipes whenever someone turned on the hot water too quickly. I would also hear a loud bang noise when any toilet was flushed, when the water would stop flowing in. At first it was fairly random when it would happen...

View more questions Search