Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patsillah Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2005, 01:08 AM
    Windows won't re-install
    My system crashed and so I formatted my 20g hard drive on another machine and then used tried to reinstall windows from the CD. I get this error message " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". I have tried to remove all the hardware mentioned but there still isn't any change. I always get stuck at the same place, any help please?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 12, 2005, 04:17 AM
    Why did the computer crash in the first place? It could be that it wasn't anything to do with your hard drive contents. It could have been faulty memory. If this is the case, you need to test this memory before re-installing the operating system. Download the following Windows Memory Diagnostic and have a blank formatted floppy disk ready!

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    Reboot with the memory test floppy in the drive and post back with the results.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Do you have an Upgrade CD or a full CD. If you have the Full version of XP it probably wants an unformatted drive to install to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp install music [ 5 Answers ]

OK this is stupid I know but I really like the nusic when you first install windows xp pro. The music I'm talking about is the music during installation right before you log on during network config. Now does antone know how or where I can extract that music? Gamer

Can't install windows xp pro - argh [ 1 Answers ]

Built my new computer from scratch, as rock 775 twins motherboard, pentium d 840, 1gb ram, geforce 6600gt, maxtor 160gb, sony dvdrw. However I can't install windows xp pro, I get to "press enter to continue with installation" and I do, and it restarts! I've tried using ide harddrives, sata ones...

Clueless! WinXP won't install on IDE. Please HLP! [ 8 Answers ]

Goal: To install windows on an IDE drive, located on Primary IDE Master. Problem: When booting from the windows cd, it will do the initial install just fine (when it's in the CMD looking bootup). Then when it finishes and restarts the computer, it will boot into the same 'installing windows'...

Packard bell diamond 1200 plus scanner won't install [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have a Packard bell diamond 1200 scanner plus and when I tried to install it the other day it said it couldn't verify it certificate and continuing with the installation could destabilize and impar my computer, the thing is that I installed it before and its worked fine but I don't know why it...

Install Access 97 onto PC with Windows XP [ 13 Answers ]

I have a PC with OS Windows XP and would like to install office 97 only to run the Access 97. But it's failed. Not working. Can anybody help me? Thank you.

View more questions Search