Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usf bulls Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Flagstone over a concrete existing base
    I hired a friend to install natural irregular shaped flagstone and 1/4 of the way through the process I noticed that the floor wasn't level in its thickness from stone to stone. He said that's the way it's supposed to be. Another friend told me that it has to be level, otherwise the kids will stub their toes when walking. What's the deal? I told him to stop temporarily. Any help?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Is this interior?

I would think that you would like it to be even, or at least close to even as possible regardless.

A thick enough base( equivalent of thin set for inside work) and some chipping/shaping of the new stones should make for an acceptable surface.

Chip out the new stones that are too high, or try to surface them first, a good cold chisel and some gloves... :)

If they break wrong, removal and replacement are not out of line.

"Friends" are not always as diligent as a professional, remember, you always get what you pay for.

Hope this helps some,

Ken
    usf bulls Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 04:31 PM
    It's exterior. This was a tough lesson, this ended up costing a LOT of money. Thanks for the input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting shower base to existing basement floor drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at installing a shower in our basement. I want to use a store bought shower base and I am not sure if I can use the existing floor drain in the basement. First of all there are 2 floor drains located 5 feet apart from each other in my basement. One is next to the water hearter and I...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Concrete Shower Base [ 3 Answers ]

I am re-doing a bath in a loft with a concrete floor. I would like to have a shower base that is flush with the old concrete floor - and that makes sense to do because I have to cut the concrete to position the new drain anyway. Does anyone know the pluses and minuses of casting a shower base...

Expanding an existing concrete patio [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing concrete patio that is less than 6 months old. In my opinion, it is of high quality. It is 4-6 in thick and rebar reinforced. It is approximately 30 x 15 ft. We are considering putting in a pool. The pool decking (concrete) will need to be tied into the existing concrete...

Concrete Shower Base [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace what was an all plastic shower stall located in my basement with a more substantial structure. All of the plumbing is in place but as part of my project I have studded out one wall so that I could re-route the hot and cold water lines inside the new wall. Because of this...

View more questions Search