Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vicky Wilhelm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Should I grant someone right to use/edit my writings for a non profit organization
    undefined

I was asked by a non profit organization and individual therapist to write a letter. The topic/organization is called HABIT - Healthy Alternative and Body Image Tools. We are trying to get into elementary schools and high schools to educate kids on eating disorders. Well I ended up writing about 20 pages, as I am very passionate on this subject. Now this woman needs me to put in writing that she has my authorization to use and edit my writings for her own and for the organizations use to further the cause. I would like to write a book about eating disorders as well have written poems that I have given her without even putting my name on them (@#$!). I truly want to help and further this cause but if I put in writing that she is aloud to edit and use my writings do I lose my ideas to her. Please write back soon. She is waiting for an answer from me. (I also must mention that she has attempted to write a book about this subject but has been unable to get it published. I don't want to see my ideas that I gained through my blood sweat and tears in someone else's book?? Thank you Vicky
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 08:16 AM
    I would, in a kind but professional manner, let her know that the permission she requests is too broad.

Turn the tables and give her the extent of the permission you are granting; including how much she can include (all or part), that it not be edited, that it clearly show your copyright with a warning/prohibition of use without your permission, etc.. . and any other limitations that would protect and benefit you.

I would definitely not be bashful with her about it.
    Vicky Wilhelm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 08:21 AM
    Thank you RickJ for your quick response
    Rick,

Thank you so much, that is a very diplomatic way to handle this. My personality type is to stick up for everyone else but myself, so you really hit the nail on the head by saying "don't be bashful". Thank you again. Vicky :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word documents locked for edit - HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I have Windows ME and Microsoft word. I have all my word documents from school arranged in folders based on each semester. Today, I opened up a 12 page paper for editing and I cannot do a single thing to this document. Each time I try, I get the following message "The command is not available...

Free grant guide [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get a free grant guide?

Creating an edit page in dreameaver [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am having problems with creating a members edit details page for my webiste. I want a user, that is not logged in, to be denied access to this edit details page. If a member is logged on then I want the edit details page to laod, but with that specific members detail only. I have...

Organization of interactive agency [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this belongs in this section.. . I was wondering how I can fit into an interactive dept of an agency- finance is not for me, too stuffy. Maybe not a designer (limited experience) but an account person dealing with the clients or Proj Mgr- which I enjoy and have experience freelancing. ...

View more questions Search