Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Best procedure to flush a water heater
    I am sure Speedball1 and a few others will help me with this post. I want to double check on the best procedure to follow when flushing a hot water heater. I have been shutting down the main opening a hot water faucet and then the drain at the bottom of the tank. When the tank is about empty and down to a trickle I open and close the main and the let drain again. I repeat the open/close 2-3 more times and then button everything back up. Is there a more thoprough method to use? KISS I'll add this so nobody else thinks I am nuts. Yes, I set the gas to pilot during the flush.

Thanks,
    Bob
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 11:49 AM
    What? You don't turn the gas to pilot or turn off the electric?

Hopefully your doing flushing for an entirely different reason.

In general the idea is to turn off the heat to the water heater, and open the drain until the water runs clear without getting burnt. The trouble is that most consumer drain valves stick, are hard to open/close and just down right nasty. So, that's replaced when the tank is new with a cap on the end as well.

I don't know if turbulence, with entering new water is a good thing or not. i.e. should you turn off the inlet. My hunch says no.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 01:59 PM
    KISS , I did forget to mention the gas is set to pilot during the flush but thanks for catching the omission. Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Water in basement from toilet flush [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a house built in 1927, I've replaced everything in the toilet tank, floats, etc. Replaced the wax ring (that about a year ago was leaking in the basement). Now, I really think I'm being ripped off, when I flush the toilet (only when I flush the toliet) it overflows into the basement...

Toilet water runs through bowl but will not flush? [ 3 Answers ]

For several days I've had a problem with my toilet not flushing.The tank fills and empties and the debries go down but the water won't swirl or flush with the solid wast? I've tried plunging,clearing all holes and adjusting float and other things but can't find reason. It's not pluged,or septic is...

Toilets fill with water but will not flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets which are back to back on either side of a wall. I am experiencing occasional problems with both toilets flushing. I have a convntional septic system and the tank was cleaned out about two years ago before I purchaced the home. I called the company who cleaned it and asked if...

View more questions Search