Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wonderingwhy77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Giving Up Rights and Child Support
    My boyfriends ex-girlfriend is pregnant and she's saying that its his. He believes that it is his. He wants to give up his rights but does not know what the law is in North Dakota. Would he still have to pay child support. We have both heard that he would but have not had any valid sources. I also heard that in North Dakota you can't sign away rights. I was just wondering what the law is?
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Oct 31, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Giving up his rights will not get him out of child support. Every deadbeat in America would would be giving up the rights to there children.
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Parental rights and obligations are two separate things. Is this the only reason he wants to give up his rights as a parent? He does understand that once he gives them up, his ex-girlfriend is no longer under any law required to let him be a part of that child's life. There is no turning back. Meaning if he has a change of heart a year later, too late unless his ex will allow him to be a part of the child's life. Most states don't allow fathers to terminate their rights unless there is an adoption in progress.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 08:13 PM
    A father can only terminate his rights willingly if there is someone willing to adopt the child in his place.

Otherwise he will be responsible for child support.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Yes, he will be required to pay the support. Even if he never sees his child he will be held responsible for the support.

If he doesn't want to be in the child's life have him give the mother full legal custody (so she can do everything she needs to do for the child without calling or taking him back to court all the time) and set up a visitation schedule but don't exercise it now. (Set it up for the future, he may want to see his child down the road) Both will be done when the support is set up.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2011, 12:33 PM
    This is from 2007 - please keep an eye on the dates. There are more recent posts which could use your input.

- And this information is incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child support / giving up rights? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old, I have a 5 year old daughter, she is raised very well, by myself and my parents. I filed for child support when she was born and never received anything. Now I just want to end everything I started. I don't care about money and I certainly don't need it. I have come a very long...

About child support and giving up parental rights in Florida [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I am in need of serious help and have no where else to turn at this point. When I was 6months pregnant. My son's father sat on my stomach in attempt to hurt the child. He does not want anything to do with the child really, his mother is behind all of it. In Florida the grandparent's...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Giving up rights to a child [ 3 Answers ]

:D when a father gives up his rights, does he still have to pay child support? Is that the law in Illinois?

Child Support - Giving up Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

If the biological farther signs his rights away to avoid paying child support - does he has to go to court for this and will this be legal and will he no longer have to pay child support?

View more questions Search