Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    117jaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Kidney disease in dog
    Hi I have a one and half yr old chinese crested powder puff dog at eight months he developed a bladder infection, which cleared up with antibiotics. In June of this year he became very sick over a couple of days from being very lively to not wanting to eat or even walk. Took him to vet , they told us he was in kidney failure by a few days in clinic he came home and was back to original self. I did feed my dog grapes two days before this but vet doesn't think that that caused his kidneys to fail because he did have a uti before and vet thought that that was the start of his kidneys failing. The vet suggested a ultra sound of his kidneys to see if there is any defects, got the ultra sound they showed normal kidneys normal heart and normal bladder. The vet told me to put him on a kidney diet which I have home made. Over the last couple of weeks my dog has about four days of being super active then a few days of having no energy and he does seem like he is in pain he just can't seem to get comfortable and paces , during this time he really hasn't lost his appetite and seems to drink normal amounts of water. Then by about the third day his energy is back to normal. What I want to know is can any other disease have the same symptoms of kidney disease , He rarely vomits and really does not lose his appetite for food and has lots of energy when he does feel better. The vet did say that I could get a bone marrow test done on him which he never really told me why. Anyway any information would help on this topic . Thank you Jennie
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Jennie, it is so hard to diagnose anything online or suggest to you what it might be. It is pretty much taking a shot in the dark. It could be any number of things. I strongly suggest that you get a recommendation from a friend, coworker, neighbor,. of another vet's name and go for a second opinion. It is your best chance at getting to the bottom of this.

Just as a reminder, I am sure you know by now that you cannot feed your dog grapes at all. There is a mold on the skin that is highly toxic to them. This also goes for raisins. Here is a list of foods you should avoid giving to your dog: Foods Potentially Poisonous to Pets | The Humane Society of the United States

Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog

I am wondering what kind of homemade diet plan you came up with (vet recommended?) to deal with this issue. It might very well be a contributing factor to your dog not rebounding from the original issue. I am surprised the vet didn't recommend one of the chows that is specifically formulated for kidney health. Hill's Science Diet makes one and your vet should sell that. You would be much better off using that than trying out a diet on your dog and turning him into a test doggie. Then again, this whole health problem might just be due to your dog being a product of poor breeding. That poor little guy. If it were my dog, I would seek out another vet and take it from there.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Yes, another vet, the sooner the better.

Don't feel bad about the grapes. I didn't know about them until in one of my training sessions at the dog guide school a couple of year ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Senior Dog with Kidney Failure [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had a pet with renal disease (i.e. kidney disease)? My dog was diagnosed yet. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. She is going to have another fluid treatment tomorrow.

Anemia, kidney disease [ 2 Answers ]

What types of anemia require regular blood transfusions about once a month. Can kidney disease require blood transfusions as well?

Desperate my dog has kidney failure she loves food but has not eaten for 14 days [ 3 Answers ]

Phoebe our dog who is 8 years old English Cocker Spaniel suddenly become poorly, our vet has tried everything, she has been on IV fluids to flush out toxins out but she will still will not eat she she's food and runs away terrible to see as she loves food, she is still wagging her tail and showing...

Kidney disease and deafness [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me if a parent has kidney failure and kidney disease if a child is conceived could that child be born deaf. My husband died of kidney failure and was 100% disabled because of operations done wrong. He died in VA hospital. My son is deaf and he has it so hard to find work. ...

View more questions Search