Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icandoit Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2005, 03:28 AM
    Tapping a gas line
    Is it possible to tap into a gas line to tee off for another appliance?

Two story house with the main living area upstairs. Garage is under the front half of the house, which is the living room and kitchen.

Here's why I ask. My main gas line (3/4" black iron) travels across my garage ceiling before it turns a 90 to follow one of the ceiling joists to the furnace in the middle of the upstairs. I want to add a gas line to my fireplace which is located nearly above where the gas line turns the corner in the garage. Problem is it would be extremely difficult to disassemble the gas line at the elbow due to the many connections involved downstrteam. But I'm thinking there must be a way to do this. Maybe not for me but a plumber would probably know how, I think... maybe.

Thanks... Randy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 04:41 AM
    If it is too far to a union, the pipe can be cut, trimmed to length, threaded, and a tee and a union inserted. Unions are those 3 piece things that can be connected without turning either piece of pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Good morning Randy,

"But I'm thinking there must be a way to do this. Maybe not for me but a plumber would probably know how, I think...maybe."

Put your mind at ease Randy. All a plumber would need is a set of pipe cutters, a set of ratchet stocks with 3/4" dies, a 3/4" black iron street tee and a 3/4" black iron union. That would leave a 3/4" opening in your gas main that you could branch off from and reduce to 1/2 or 3/8ths copper to pick up your fireplace. Good luck, Tom
    icandoit Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
    Pretty much what I thought I'd hear. I just wanted to see if there were any other options or ways of doing this.

Thanks guys.

Randy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 06:30 PM
    Note, plumbers size pipe by nominal ID. If the pipe is about 3/4'' OD, you will need to buy fittings labeled 1/2''. Tubing and tubing fittings are often sold by the OD. When you go to buy pipe and tubing, take a tape measure. Running pipe isn't that bad of a job. Most places that sell the black iron pipe also cut and thread it. The silvery galvanized causes problems if used for gas or compressed air.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air in line [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, check out https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=14182

Dark line [ 3 Answers ]

I recently removed some hair from my upper lip with a hair buffer. But now I have a dark line above my lip. I have tried everything to make it go away. (putting moisturizer and vitamin e oil) I don't know what else to do. Could you please tell me what I can do? It really is embrassing.

Tapping PVC into existing Copper [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There- I am installing a new heat pump for my pool and have a question with the plumbing. I have an old gas heater that I would like to keep for standby that used 1" copper plumbing. Does anyone know how I can tap into the copper output line with the 1-1/2" PCV output line from the heat...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search