Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oregon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
    Nursing Career with a felony background
    If a felon - charged in a non violent crime who also has a third degree sexual assult charge on his record, - is interested in a degree as a Registered Nurse, what information about those charges would prohibit him from receiving an RN degree and later being hired as an RN?
    Does the type of felony matter?
    Does the third degree sexual assult, which occurred between a dating high school couple matter?
    Does the decision of the judge in the sexual assult case, indicating that the assult occurred between two consenting individuals, matter?
    The felon is now taking courses to become an RN. After a background check, he was accepted into an RN program. What steps should he take or what questions should he be asking to insure that his efforts to become an RN are not in vain.
    jameson6950 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
    This is quite interesting. Has he asked if the victim could make a notarized legal statement for the person so that he may present it to his employer where he plans to work. The statement should help the employee explain the circumstances behind the felony incident. I am no lawyer. I just have a suggestion.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 02:30 PM
    First of all a person with a felony record would not be accepted to nursing school. As a nursing student myself, I had to submit to a background check prior to beginning the program. We all took our prerequisites, but once actually accepted into the nursing program we had to do the background check. If convicted with a felony we were immediately dropped from the program, no questions asked.

Reason being is that the institutions that we do our clinicals in do not employ felons and as a nursing student we are "employed" by that institution and we work under their medical malpractice insurance.

Sorry, but very few schools will allow felons to go through their programs.
    t-man Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2007, 09:39 PM
    This is an incorrect answer.

Yes...you can become an RN if you have a felony conviction.

I have a friend who was a firefighter/parmedic... and went to jail... was convicted of a felony. Did 1.5 yrs in a federal pen. He got out... decided to turn his life around... went to nursing school for 2 yrs... disclosed his past. Disclosd his past again before the boards.:) He is now an ER nurse and Crittical care nurse.

BTW...there are numerous professionals with felony convictions....might wanna check and see if that's true also (J_9). :confused:

As a matter of fact... it is known that nurses get into trouble quite a bit while working in the field due to the preasure of the job (DUI, drugs, etc). Nurses even have support staff that now support and help them with the stress level.

Apparently this poster has already been accepted to a nursing school program...

Now... if you're convicted of trafficking Drugs... and also a known drug user... it maybe a litle tough.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    First of all a person with a felony record would not be accepted to nursing school. As a nursing student myself, I had to submit to a background check prior to beginning the program. We all took our prerequisites, but once actually accepted into the nursing program we had to do the background check. If convicted with a felony we were immediately dropped from the program, no questions asked.

Reason being is that the institutions that we do our clinicals in do not employ felons and as a nursing student we are "employed" by that institution and we work under their medical malpractice insurance.

Sorry, but very few schools will allow felons to go through their programs.
    crzyboogr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
    UNTRUE. Anyone can get into a nursing program with the right courses and GPA. And you will get licensed as long as you submit the required paperwork. However, getting a job can be a different story. While the Board of Nursing has no real problem taking your money and issuing you a license, employers are becoming more scutinous in hiring, and often rely on third party regulatory agencies such as AHCA in Florida. There you are required to get an exemption from the board, otherwise you basically have a worthless $300 piece of paper in your wallet. I know this because I'm battling this very thing out now.
    gerard copeland Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
    I am a registered nurse an a veteran who has a felony record. I can't find a job as a nurse. Is there anyway I can be employed as a registered nurse?

Aug 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
    I am a registered nurse an a veteran who has a felony record. I can't find a job as a nurse. Is there anyway I can be employed as a nurse or anywhere?

Aug 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard copeland View Post
    I am a registered nurse an a veteran who has a felony record. I can't find a job as a nurse. Is there anyway I can be employed as a registered nurse..?
    ee

Aug 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard copeland View Post
    ee
    I am already a registered nurse who has a felony record who can't get hired

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

Nursing [ 3 Answers ]

My baby spits up constantly has anyone else had this problem with their child if so what did you do?

Felony conviction hurting professional career [ 5 Answers ]

I have a felony drug conviction on my record from 8 years ago, for which I did 3 years in state prison. Since getting out, Ive completed 3 years of college and have a 3.9 gpa. I interned at a major insurance company (will remain nameless), after my internship they offered me a full time position. ...

Nursing home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My sister called me last night and said that she was thinking about putting my father in a nursing home.she said that she went to a meeting that the speaker said that if one of the spouses goes to a nursing home the other spouse could keep up to 60,000 dollars , anything above that in bank...

Nursing career [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what is the best way to pursue a nursing career? I just graduated with a bs in biology and I am unsure of the next step I should take. :confused:

View more questions Search