Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Nov 10, 2005, 11:02 AM
    Addition wiring questions
    Greetings all,

I am finishing up an addition to my house. With winter fast approaching, I want to get the electrical done and inspected before the snow flies. (This is pretty long,but, I want to make sure that I do it right before the inspector comes out.

For some background info:

I replaced a 200 amp Pushmatic panel with a new 200 amp GE panel. I also had the electrician run a 100 amp GE sub-panel to the addition. There is a 100 amp breaker in the main panel and a 100 amp breaker in the sub.

The subpanel will be feeding the power to the addition which is ~14' wide by ~20' long. The first floor is an additional garage stall. The second floor will consist of a walk in closet and bathroom expansion.

The layout of the circuits for each area is as follows:

Bath Circuits:
    1 - dedicated 20 amp circuit for whirlpool pump, GFI duplex.

1 - dedicated 20 amp circuit for whirlpool heater, GFI duplex.

1 - 20 amp circuit for in-floor radiant heat for the bath, built-in GFI in stat.

1 - 20 amp circuit for 7 duplex outlet. GFI breaker.

1 - 15 amp circuit for 3 lighting runs and a fan: GFI Breaker.

The lighting runs are:
    Switch 1 controls 2 cans over the tub and is a dimmer, Switch 2 is for 5 lights (2 over the vanity and 3 recessed cans). These are in the same box, which is by the door.

The other box will house the Switch for the recessed shower light and a timer for the bath fan and is by the shower (~5 feet out)

There are 4 duplex outlets on one 22' long wall and 3 on the other. The tub and shower are on opposite ends of the new/old bathroom.

The duplex outlets are spaced as follows:

(Tub end)

#1 is ~2' from the tub (~6' from the outside wall) and is about a foot off the floor. We may use it to plug in a towel warmer.

#2 is 2' feet away from the first outlet and is on the left side of the vanity.
    #3 is 6' and on the far right side of the vanity.

Outlets #2 and #3 are ~6" above the vanity countertop (~42" off the floor)

#4 is ~4' from the outlet #3 and it is ~42" off the floor and will be used a towel warmer. It is ~3' from the shower.

(Turning a corner at the shower end and coming back)

#5 is ~5' from the shower and a foot of the floor.

#6 is ~5' from #5 and is near the door and is ~1' off the floor.

The final outlet (#7) is on the far side of the door and is about 3' from the tub and ~1' off the floor.

Closet Wiring:

1 - 15 amp circuit
    This will be for both lighting and outlets.
    There are 2 lighting runs in the closet (CS1 has 2 cans, CS2 has 4 cans.)
    There will be 4 duplex outlets.

Garage portion:

1 - 15 amp circuit for the garage for both lighting and duplex.

Two lighting runs: GS1 has 1 external light, GS2 has 2 interior lights and is a 3 way switch.
    There are 5 duplex outlets: 3 on the interior walls, 1 for the exterior and 1 duplex overhead for the garage door. I was going to tap the power for the lighting from the first outlet box, prior to the GFI.

Porch (not new but I need to rewire)
    1 - 20 amp circuit for in-floor heat.
    1 - 15 amp circuit for lighting and duplex.
    Lighting is 1 switch controlling 4 recessed cans. It may be on a dimmer.
    There is 1 ceiling fan and 3 GFI duplex outlets.

Total: 5 - 20 amp and 3 - 15 amp.

Questions on the bath wiring:
    Do I have enough outlets?
    Do they need to be 6' from a corner like the rest of the house?
    Should I put them on two breakers?
    Should I use a GFI duplex outlet as the first outlet in each run?
    Does bath lighting have to be on a 20amp circuit as well?

Questions on closet wiring:
    Does a closet require that the outlets be within 6' of a corner?
    If so, can I safely add it to the circuit?

Does the rest of the wiring look OK?

The panel/subpanel was previously inspected and signed off. While the inspector was there, I asked if I could do the rough wiring and I discussed what I wanted to do. He said there should be no problems. Due to changes requested by my wife, I want to run it by you folks so that I can get the inspection approved in one visit.

Hopefully, I have not made things to muddled, but If anyone needs clarification on any of the points, let me know and I will do my best.

I have attached some gif files from the vision I made to help me with the layout.

Thanks, Dan
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2005, 02:53 PM
    To answer your questions in order:

Bathroom
    1.There only needs to be one GFI duplex adjacent to each sink in a bathroom, Any other receptacles in the bathroom are for your conveinence, and are not subjected to any spacing code, other than be GFI protected.

2. Only one 20 amp circuit is required for all the general purpose outlets in the bathroom. The ones for the appliances need to be separate circuits.

3. Using one GFI device at the first outlet is fine to protect all the outlets downstream. The other choice is to have a circuit breaker. The pro to having the rest button in the bathroom is not to need to go to the panel to reset if the GFI trips.

4. The lighting in the bathroom may be a either a 15 amp (either #14 or #12 wire) or 20 amp circuit max (only #12 wire). The lighting may be on the same circuit as the outlets, but the shower light must be GFI protected. I would use a GFI deadfront device at the shower light switch to protect only the shower light. You may protect the entire circuit if you like.

Closet
    1.Closets do not require outlets, and are not subjcted to spacing by code.

2. These outlets are considered general purpose or lighting outlets, and can be on a general lighting circuit.

The circuitry looks fine. All the outlets in garages must be GFI protected, except the OHD, and any other that are for stationary equipment. The outlets in the porch may need to be GFI protected, this will be the inspectors call, you may need to space outlets 12 foot as per code.

Hope this helps

Nov 14, 2005, 12:37 PM
    Thanks!
    TK and Labman. Thanks as always for your help.

Dec 8, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Passed Inspections
    Hey TK and Labman, (And everyone else who has supplied answers to questions that have been posted. I have learned a LOT about wiring, plumbing, framing, etc. Especially when to leave it to the pro's! )

With your help, I passed the rough in electrical inspection.

Granted it took 2 visits as the inspector wanted the feeds for the infloor heat to be in conduit and a metal box.

Also, I took your advice from other posts to split the circuits for the vanities. Each side is on it's own 20amp circuit protected by a GFI.

Dan
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2005, 02:19 PM
    A recessed can in the shower with a "shower trim" does not require GFI protection. And I have never had an inspector even suggest it. It certainly isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't waste the money on a GFI breaker for that lighting circuit but would rather use the faceless GFI if you desire to have it GFI protected.

Dec 8, 2005, 02:34 PM
    What is strange is that the inspector is requiring us to use shower type covers in the clothes closet on the recessed lights.

Of course, once things get signed off on, hmmm, things may change.

Dan
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2005, 02:52 PM
    Not as strange as you think. This is a safety concern to keep the exposed lamp from coming in contact with combustables. Clothing, tissuepaper, cardboard etc.
    This is the same reason that a closet must have a fixture installed and not a keyless lampholder for final inspection. It is a safety issue although I have never been required to use a shower trim here in NY I can understand it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spa wiring questions [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a hot tub (spa). It calls for 6-3 with ground 240 volt 50 amp gfci breaker installed. I have almost completed the job and have some questions. I installed a 50 amp breaker in a subpanel in my laundry room and ran the 6-3 wire with ground down in the crawl space out to the...

Questions on wiring up a Leviton PR180 Motion Activated Switch [ 1 Answers ]

Newbie here - hopefully you guys can give me some help on a wiring question. I have two boxes - box 1, which is where I would like to put the PR180, has the following wires: Hot, Traveler A and Traveler B. Box 2, which is where the normal 3-way switch is, has Traveler A, Traveler B and what I...

Toilet addition [ 5 Answers ]

There supposedly is a device, kind of like a garbage disposer, that allows you to pump the waste from a toilet through a 2-inch drain pipe. What exactly is that thing and how does it work?

Addition foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience with connecting a new crawlspace to a existing block foundation? I know if they are both poured you could use rebar to connect them, or if they were both block you would key the new one into the existing, but is it possible to mix the two?

View more questions Search