Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbred78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Pet Deposits?
    I decided to get my son a cat after we moved into our new apartment. When it came around to sign a new lease I paid a pet deposit of $300 on top of that they want an additional $20 a month for a "Pet Fee" and it is to be included in my rent each month (no separate check). I just want to know if the are legally aloud to ask for both in the state of California? Thanks.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
    It's legal in VA.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 05:35 PM
    As long as the terms are not hidden, leases are pretty much "anything goes" as long as both parties agree to the terms. And in Texas, I know that they can charge both. It's no different than them charging more for an apartment with an additional amenity, like a fireplace or a washer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find some information on pet deposits in Virginia. I rented a house for about 6 months and they just took my entire deposit to replace the carpet in the house. First off, there was nothing wrong with it. When we did the final inspection they even said how nice the carpet looked...

Security deposits/pet deposits - Texas tenant law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This involves a lease that went month to month and verbal agreements. During tenants stay, they broke several personal items (sculptures, fountain) on the property and brought in a second dog. In the written lease, there is nothing abuot pets. I gave them erbal permission to have one...

Rent Deposits [ 2 Answers ]

I am sub-letting my two bedroom house in Florida. I received a deposit of $825.00 from a guy (which is equal to one months rent) on the 21st of last month. His move in date was to be February 1st. On January 31st, he informed me via email that he was not going to take the room. This was my...

Pet Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania and when we initially rented our home we were required to put down a $2000 non-refundable pet deposit. In the second year, the landlord asked for an additional $995 non-refundable pet deposit. My question is this, was it legal for her to demand this second deposit or can I...

Security Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question.. state is New Hampshire. Does anyone know if a security deposit ( by law) should be put into an account?I am aware that a unit of 6 or more is required an account,I want to know if it applies for a 2 unit also.

View more questions Search