Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shidoshi Posts: 71, Reputation: 4

Nov 10, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Dizziness and eye strain after an hour of watching the computer screen
    Hi everybody.
    I don't know about you but for me.. working at my computer became a very hard thing to do. After just an hour of working in front of it... I kind of getting dizzy and have different aches right in my both eyes or sometimes even in my head. Did you have similar problems ? How did you manage to solve them? Thank you very much.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Eye strain
    Hi,
    Do you wear glasses?
    One reason for eye strain is needing glasses, but don't have them or not wearing them; but this applies to many things, not just the computer.
    Does your computer have an anti-glare cover over the screen?
    Also, is it a normal type monitor?
    I use an LCD monitor and it has never given me any problem.
    Does your computer screen flicker?
    If so, please post back for info on how to check the Refresh Rate of the monitor.

Nov 11, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Yes I do have glasses but I don't wear them when working on my computer because, as I understand... they are only for long distance. I am using a LCD also. Recently I discovered that if I enhance the backlight of my monitor... my eyes feel more relaxed but I am still getting dizzy after working in front of it for a couple of hours (with or without my long distance glasses). :(
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Make sure the monitor's refresh rate is at the highets it can support. In XP this is how you do it:
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
    Alternatively, right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
    3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click the screen refresh rate that you want to use.

Because you have an LCD monitor you may not have many options. Refer to your manufacturer's website and support area to find out more. Usually it's screen flicker that is the culprit.

Nov 14, 2005, 11:40 AM
    I've just made a visit to the doctor and he said that my vision is perfect BUT my eyes muscles are kind of weak because of the lack of calcium and the long hours spent in front of the computer. He recommended me to wear my glasses only when I feal dizzy and to try to bring my calcium levels bank to normal. What do you think ?

@NeedKarma: I have an old Sony LCD and its maximum refresh rate is 60Hz regardless of the resolution of the screen.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Periodically look away from the monitor to focus on something else. This should be a habit that you do about every ten minutes at least.

Dec 5, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Ok. I will try to take micro-pauses every 45 minutes of working. Unfortunately, my lcd monitor is in front of the wall... so I can't look anywhere else :(
    baal12 Posts: 35, Reputation: 0

Dec 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
    Do not have the brightness at 100% rather a range of 45%-70% is enough for you do see, while greatly reducing strain.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidoshi
    I've just made a visit to the doctor and he said that my vision is perfect BUT my eyes muscles are kind of weak because of the lack of calcium and the long hours spent in front of the computer. He recommended me to wear my glasses only when I feal dizzy and to try to bring my calcium levels bank to normal. What do you think ?

@NeedKarma: I have an old Sony LCD and its maximum refresh rate is 60Hz regardless of the resolution of the screen.

"I've just made a visit to the doctor and he said that my vision is perfect"

Ummmmmm, if they are "perfect" than why do you have glasses?

"He recommended me to wear my glasses only when I feal dizzy and to try to bring my calcium levels bank to normal. What do you think ?"

Well, I'm not Doctor, but I trust you found an eye Doctor that knows what he's doing, so I am going to vote for you to follow his advice and wear your glasses only when you feel dizzy.

Although, if he thinks you eyes are "perfect" and you are wearing glasses, then perhaps it is time to get a second opinion.

Dec 15, 2005, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Although, if he thinks you eyes are "perfect" and you are wearing glasses, then perhaps it is time to get a second opinion.
    I am sure youi misunderstood me CaptainForest and I apologize for that. The thing is that my vision is OK but because of the long hours spent in front of my computer I have very tired eyes and for that the doctor gave me some glasses to help my eye muscles to relax when I am in front of my computer. He also said that lack of calcium is also a source of muscle tiredness.
    iSMAC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Sunglasses. Polarized light color lenses is the key. My friend who fixes slot machines [worse than computer screens] says to wear sunglasses. After searching many thrift stores so I could try different lenses, I finally found a pair of Ray-Bans with light lenses and frame at Big Lots. Happy hunting!
    iSMAC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Comment on iSMAC's post
    Best answer on internet!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer screen distorted [ 3 Answers ]

I need help in getting my computer screen clear. All pictures and backgrounds are distorted. What can I do? Please help if you can. Thanks.

Muscle strain? [ 3 Answers ]

At work I had to lift a desk in order to run some wiring. The desk is extremely heavy and I had to strain pretty hard to lift it. I held it up for about 10 seconds so my co-worker could run the wires underneath. When I put it down my abdomen area hurted. Is it possible to hurt an organ by...

Computer turned on, nothing on screen [ 9 Answers ]

I turned on my comp, power comes on but there isn't anything on screen as if I was away from my computer for a long period. I triple checked all wires, un-plugged and replugged everything, switch new monitor and it won't work. Someone please help me.

What are you watching now? [ 17 Answers ]

What kind of movies or sitcoms are you guys watching this month? (I am a little bit there and a little bit here)

View more questions Search