Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmeno Posts: 215, Reputation: 23

Nov 9, 2005, 10:11 PM
    Removing items from credit report
    There is this guy that I know who has started his own company. He claims that he can clean up your credit. I have always been warned about these type of things. That taking something off your credit report cannot be done. The way that he says it is done is that according to your credit, you will be charged a flat fee, he says that he will then send a dispute to every creditor, they have a week to respond to the disupute. They normally do not dispute it. If in a week they have not responded to the dispute, then they must remove the negative report from your credit report. If by chance that they do challenge the dispute, he will then dispute their dispute (if that makes any sense @ all) They will keep going back and forth with the dispute and normally the credit agencies don't take it too far. Can this be done, and is there any truth to this @ all
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2005, 05:08 AM
    The warning is for 2 reasons:
    1. They lie about what they can do. One thing this guy lied about is the week thing. The Fair Credit Reporting Act does not proscribe a due date. It just says "within a reasonable period of time"

Typically the reporting agencies have adopted 1-month as that reasonable period.

2. There is nothing that they do that you can't do yourself.

Yes, if you dispute something with the credit bureau, they are required to either verify the item or delete it.

Also anything older than 7 or 10 years (depending on what it is) must be removed.

These sheisters just barrage the credit bureaus with disputes and know that some of it will slip through the cracks and not get verified.

So get a copy of your credit report from all three vendors:
    Trans Union
    Equifax, and
    Experian

Study them closely for accuracy and age - and dispute what you feel you should dispute - or question for accuracy.

If you do, keep a good record of dates you sent letters, to whom, who you've talked to, etc... so you can follow up with them if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 11 Answers ]

On my credit report I have a collection agency that reported first in 1999 Just when that was about to be removed from my credit report they (the collection agency)sold the account to another collection agency who re-reported it and now it will be 7 more years before it will be removed.it is the...

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

Credit report help [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was listed as an authorized user on a family member's credit card. This account has turned into a collection account and I found out that it has affected my credit report negatively. I want to get the fact straight before I decide whether I want to...

Judgment/Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgment on my credit report for October of 2000. This judgment was satified within one month of getting it. The only credit agency that is still reporting it is Equifax the other 2 have deleted it completely from my report. This judgment was filed while I was part of a small corporation,...

Reading my credit report [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: I recently requested a copy of my credit report because I had paid off some chargeoffs and bad debt. I am trying to determine when these accounts will drop off my report. There are 2 different dates for last activity and last payment. What date should I go by? Also, 2 accounts only list a...

View more questions Search