Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gegal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 05:50 PM
    Remote doesn't open garage door.
    Remote doesn't open garage door. If I press the button within the garage, it will open or close the door. The battery in the remote is new. The built in car opener doesn't work either. At one point, door would open with the remote for several days and then it wouldn't. This happened on two occasions but now the remote won't open the door. Note: the settings on the door opener and the settings on the remote are the same.

Can the receiver's electronic receiving component be replaced instead of having to replace the whole door opener mechanism?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2005, 07:16 PM
    Finding a new receiver may depend on the brand and how old it is. Parts can be a big hassle with some brands. I hate pitching stuff for lack of a part.

Before you do that, check the antenna, maybe just a length of wire sticking out. Make sure it isn't loose or damaged, or even blocked.

Nov 9, 2005, 08:18 PM
    Remote doesn't open garage door.
    From what I can see, the wire is not blocked nor does it look damaged. Would lengthening the wire help? Remember, the door works but just not with the remote. The door opener is an Omega and it is fourteen years old. I was hoping to be able to replace the receiver chrystal (?).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2005, 09:22 PM
    The length of the wire has to do with the wavelength of the signal. If part of it is broken off, restoring it to the original length would help. If you do lengthen it, try twice as long.

Nov 14, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The length of the wire has to do with the wavelength of the signal. If part of it is broken off, restoring it to the original length would help. If you do lengthen it, try twice as long.
    No luck. Is it possible to replace the motor unit and still use the same rails, chain, etc.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Nov 26, 2005, 02:52 PM
    Try this website:
    http://www.thomasvgielcorp.com
    This company has parts and information for all garage doors and even some discontinued parts. Nice folks, and if they can't answer your question (click on information) they'll direct you to the solution if they can. Good Luck. Dave.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 15, 2005, 05:22 PM
    Garage door
    Sometimes if you just unplug the unit for a few minutes it may reset itself.
    Plug it back in and then try it.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 16, 2005, 07:32 AM
    You say that your GDO is 14 years old.

This may be before they made them with all the safety devices that modern units have. (safety sensor that reverses if something goes through the electric eye and auto reverse if it encounters too much of a back force as it closes, etc)

Sears has a GDO for $129.99 (sale price, unsure when it is good through) that has 2 remotes and all the modern safety features.

You may be able to re-use your existing track, but, they are fairly simple to replace.

Like LABMAN, I don't like throwing things out if I can possibly fix them, but, it may make sense this time.
    Garageone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 05:26 AM
    My garage door opener's don't open the door but the wall button still operates the door. It's not the antenna or any of the connections they have never be touched. Before the remotes stopped working they were having trouble opening the door the button on the remote had to be pressed multiple times to get the door to close. What could be the problem?
    Garageone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 05:30 AM
    My garage door opener's doen't open the door but the wall button still operates the door. It's not the antenna or any of the connections they have never be touched. Before the remotes stopped working they were having trouble opening the door, the button on the remote had to be pressed multiple times to get the door to close, but opening was not a problem. What could be the problem?
    TexasGirl757 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
    I am having the same issue with mine and it is a Genie.
    summit12345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
    I have the same problem on my old Craftsman. I ended up realizing it may be some loose wiring. I had removed the back cover and checked all the wires. What fixes the problem is if I jiggle the back cover where some of the wires are attached to, it makes the remote work again.

The other thing I have noticed is that the other opener picks up signals from my iPhone. I can see the led on the opened flashing in sync with the iPhone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Garage Door open indicator [ 4 Answers ]

We have just moved into a new house with an attached garage. It’s been nice weather so we have been leaving the door open. However we have forgotten to close it when we go to bed at night. We live in a fairly safe neighborhood. We should just check to see if its closed each night but I thought...

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage door remotes [ 1 Answers ]

I seem to have a problem with my garage door opener remote. When I have one of my cars in the garage, the remotes do not work unless I am very close to the door. If that car is not around, the remotes will open the garage door from at least 50 feet away. Any ideas about this problem. The...

Kenmore Garage Door [ 1 Answers ]

Mine has malfunctioned and does not quit once door is down

View more questions Search