Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 30, 2007, 06:26 AM
    A fitting analogy?
    True story:

A week or so ago, I became very angry with my 17 year old son. He was being disrespectful to his mother and I, and insisted that we had "no right" to do various things (ground him, correct his friends' behavior while they were in our home, etc.). I explained to him that he had apparently forgotten who it is that takes care of all the business in that house. I make the money, I fix the things that need fixing, I buy the cars and pay the insurance and gas, I buy the food, I pay the gas/electricity/phone bills, and so on. His mother prepares the food I buy, takes all the kids where they need to go, picks them up, organizes and manages their respective schedules (3 school age boys, pretty big task), she cleans the house and does the laundry, etc. Then I reminded him of his list of contributions, which was pathetically short. I wrapped it up by asking him how it was that he could be so rude, rebellious, and disrespectful to the very ones who ensure his existence.

The next day it occurred to me--I wonder if that's how God feels when we are disrespectful to Him by our words and actions. After all, He is the one by whom we exist, and without whom we would not. He has "paid the bills" in every respect for our benefit, and we still sometimes rebel against His authority.

Pretty humbling, when I thought about it.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 06:28 AM
    It is humbling when you put matters into the frame of mind you just did. A fitting analogy indeed.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 30, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I must agree. It is a very fitting analogy. After all, we're all children of someone, aren't we? Just as we (if we're parents) have the right and responsibility to lay out and enforce the rules and guidelines designed for the benefit and protection of our children, we should stop and consider that God has done the same thing for each of us today. Just as a parent is dismayed when a child rebels and acts disobediently, we should certainly expect no less of our loving Creator. It is humbling, and the reason why we need to ensure that we are not hypocritical in dealing with children. The need for that is even stronger today than it was in raising children 20, 15, or even 10 years ago.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
    kindj:

You just stated the facts.

There was a "Cosby" episode where Theo wanted to go out on his own, so Bill let him and when Theo wanted to stay at home he had to pay for bedroom furniture, snacks, clothes etc.. Within a day Theo was acknowledging his dad. It was a comical and ideal way of dealing with this. But then again we don't have screenplay writers for our lives.

Good way of looking at things to remind us, thanks.

Grace and Peace
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
    I;m grateful that He is slow to anger, quick to forgive and always waiting for me to turn my heart back to His when I wander.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interesting analogy [ 10 Answers ]

Iodized salt is to lemur as pumpkin is to...

"Tree swing" analogy in education [ 1 Answers ]

How is the "tree swing" analogy used in education?

Fitting to use? [ 2 Answers ]

2889Please see attached picture. My question is about the fitting where the trap arm connects with the vent line. I would like to use a sanitary tee in order to be able to maintain the proper pitch for water to run. I am unable to maintain pitch if use the sanitary tee vertically. I have read...

Great Analogy - I just had to spread this somehow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I recently asked a question to jrussole via pm regarding a response I read of her's in another thread created by Blazingcold. The answer and anology I quite liked was the following:

View more questions Search