Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NicoleC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Tree Stump Removal
    I have a large (2 1/2 foot radius) maple tree stump that is about 1 foot above the ground which I want to remove. I had one removal company come in and quote a $750 price to grind it - which I thought was rather high so I would like to explore other ways of removing the stump at a much lower cost.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2005, 12:49 PM
    That price is absolutely nuts.

Chain saw it down to as low as you can without having your blade grinding in dirt.

As long as it's no more than a couple inches high, the price (in my area anyway) to grind down to 6" below grade should not be more than about $2-$3 per inch of diameter (not circumference).

If you're not having any luck, you can rent the grinder for $75-$100 for a half day.

Either way, you'll need to get it down closer to ground level.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2005, 02:10 PM
    If you do have it ground down or rent a grinder yourself, grass will not grow in the mixture of dirt and wood chips they leave behind. You need to clean it out and put dirt in.

If you can get away with fires in your area, that is fairly effective way. Just build up a good fire over it. Once started good, it will char away to below ground level.

The last alternative is to let it rot. I don't know if the stuff that is supposed to accelerate it helps or not.
    NicoleC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 09:43 AM
    Thanks -Labman and Rickj
    Thanks, I thought the price was rather high and will do some more looking around. I was going to try and cut the stump closer to the ground but when I did some test boring around its' permiter I found dirt and some stones so I would probably have trouble with the chainsaw blade going dull or snapping.

Will look into renting a grinder and if that does not work then I'll break out the old axe and use some stump degrading chemicals... understand that high nitrogen fertilizer (the higher the better) along with water/dampness will hasten the rotting process.

Once again thanks for your advice. :)
    jyost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2005, 03:31 PM
    Stump Removal
    Nicole,
    That price is crary. Some people in this business determine their prices based upon what it would take to have an excavator do the job. The way I look at it is an excavator cost $80,000. The truck and trailer to get it there... $40,000. My stump grinder cost me $13,000 and I have to have a truck anyway. Maybe I'm a poor business man, but my return on investment doesn't need to be made in a week!
    Good luck.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 2, 2005, 07:21 PM
    Drill 3/4" holes into the stump and use rock salt. (if rock salt is available where you live)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 2, 2005, 09:28 PM
    Talk to the people at Home Depot. They have poisons that work very well on weeds as well as tree stumps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

I have a red maple tree and something is eating the leaves. I need help to find out how to stop the pest and what to use to stop them

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

Transplanting tree [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a one year old home. The old owners planted a jap. Maple too close to the house. How deep would the root system be? And when is the best time of the year to transplant it?

Dogwood tree [ 1 Answers ]

My dogwood tree never has many blooms on it. Is it lacking fertilizer of some kind?

Mail a tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sentimental desire to plant a seedling from my grandmothers Norway Maple tree in my own back yard. Last summer I dug up five seedlings and drove 3 days and planted them. I think they would have done well except that the bunnies ate the leaves as fast as they could grow. I can't...

View more questions Search