Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AggrivatedInNC Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2007, 06:33 PM
    What kind of Lawyer to use?
    I work as a dog groomer in North Carolina and I am having some problems. I woman I used to work with is spreading unprofessional rumors about me and it is affecting my work. She is going into other salons in the area and telling people inappropriate things about how I groom and my lack of experience. Which is a lie and I have proof of how long I have been grooming. She has also been seeking out my clients and telling them this things as well.:(
    I do not own a company. I work for a veterinarian office.They know about the whole situation but I want to keep them out of the legal process. I know this is slander. That is what I want to sue her for if she does not back off. Tonight I went by her place of employment and spoke to someone working there. They are going to have the owner of the business call me. I do not want this woman fired. I just want her to stop trying to ruin my career.
    Where do I need to go from here? What kind of Lawyer do I need to talk to? Any advice would help.;)
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 06:42 PM
    I think you could just use any lawyer, what she is saying is considered slanderous and you can probably sue her.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Hello A:

I know, it's aggravating. However, even if you could prove what she is saying is not the truth, you have to show damages. IF you have not lost your job, then you have no damages.

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Libel, Slander And Defamation, Libel, Slander And Defamation Lawyer And Attorney By Location - Lawyers.com
    Like excon said you have to prove it is effecting your income. You may have to get some people together that can prove you have lost business and show your paperwork as documentation that there has been a decline in business since she started this. I am not so sure you have to have lost your job though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Any civil lawyer should be able to handle a slander case. And you should sue her if you feel you can prove things. She has caused you to lose money and lose business. You shouldn't let her get away with it.
    Ultra Member

It's true that there are no damages but you can sue for defamation of character I believe?
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
    But won't her "poor character" cause loss of income because customers will not go to her?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    But won't her "poor character" cause loss of income because customers will not go to her?
    Hello again, charlotte:

If she does sustain losses, of course she can sue. However, as of now, she STILL has her job. In order to win, she would have to PROVE actual losses, not just speculate about what the future might bring.

excon

Oct 30, 2007, 03:52 AM
    It's me--AggrivatedInNC
    She has shown no loss because these clients are thanking her for "warning" them about me. Luckily a few clients have come to me and told me what she is doing. I have not experienced any losses. When I said it was affecting my work, the owners and office manager are getting a bit tired of hearing things from this crazy woman. They are getting frustrated with me simply for knowing this woman.
    Is there a way to get her to back off without tryinig to sue her? Haha is there some kind of slander restraining order? I want to cause as little problems as possible but I want her to know I'm serious.
    Thanks Again!

Oct 30, 2007, 05:36 AM
    While you would normally have to prove you encountered a loss, in this case, with the potential of having clients go elsewhere if she continues her campaign, I think you have a case. However, there is nothing you can do without suing. You may not have to go too far though. You need to get an attorney. Its possible that a simple letter from an attorney telling her to cease and desist or you will file suit, may be enough to get her to stop.

Oct 30, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Thank you all very much for your help so far!
    I talked to my office manager and the Owners of the vet office I work for and they all think I am doing the right thing. I just have to find a good attorney now. It is hard to find good affordable legal help! :O) Hopefully the letter from an attorney will stop her.

Thanks Again!

Oct 30, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Unless she has deep pockets it should scare her. As long as you can prove she has deliberately and mailiciously lied she hasn't a leg to stand on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello A:

I know, it's aggravating. However, even if you could prove what she is saying is not the truth, you have to show damages. IF you have not lost your job, then you have no damages.

excon

It also doesn't become slander unless someone believes it and it damages their opinion of you - if someone will come forward and say their opinion of you changed and/or you have damages such as lost income or lost standing in the community, well, you might have a case. Slander is very, very difficult to prove because witnesses are usually very, very reluctant to come forward.

An Attorney - if he believes this woman's conduct is outrageous - will "usually" send a letter telling her to cease and desist. Sometimes the conduct ends, sometimes it escalates.

The other thought is she is doing this to get a reaction from you; often if there is no reaction the behavior stops.

I have investigated more than a few of these cases and they are brutal to prove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kind of gross [ 2 Answers ]

MY husband and I are trying to conceive. We have been told after intercourse to lay on my back and elevate my pelvis for 30-45 minutes, but after that when I stand up its seems like the semen run out. Is there enough sperm left inside to get pregnant or does the sperm come out also. :confused:

In kind of a bind, what should I do? [ 9 Answers ]

First off, I really don't consider myself a true Christian. I believe in God, but I'm not what you would call a Born Again Christian. I've never really given any thought about it, until I met this girl not long ago. We actually met online, but she only lives about 3 hours from me. We seemed to...

What kind of relationship is this? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I had been in love with my best friend for quite a while. We told each other everything and always hung out together, so much that most people that knew us assumed we were dating. She used to just like me as a friend so I never pursued a romantic relationship. I would give...

Me and my kind of ex [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I really don't know what to do in this situation. I started working at this store in June 2006 and the girl I'm confused about started working at the same time. Even the same traning group. We became friends and about a month ago, we really got into each other. We started going to the movies...

Me and my kind of ex [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I really don't know what to do in this situation. I started working at this store in June 2006 and the girl I'm confused about started working at the same time. Even the same training group. We became friends and about a month ago, we really got into each other. We started going to the movies...

View more questions Search