Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbeychok Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 12:25 AM
    Design of a vapor-liquid separator (or flash drum, or knockout drum)
    A vapor-liquid separator drum is a vertical vessel into which a liquid and vapor mixture (or a flashing liquid) is fed and wherein the liquid is separated by gravity, falls to the bottom of the vessel, and is withdrawn. The vapor travels upward at a design velocity which minimizes the entrainment of any liquid droplets in the vapor as it exits the top of the vessel.

The size a vapor-liquid separator drum (or knock-out pot, or flash drum, or compressor suction drum) should be dictated by the anticipated flow rate of vapor and liquid from the drum. The following sizing methodology is based on the assumption that those flow rates are known.

Use a vertical pressure vessel with a length-to-diameter ratio of about 3 to 4, and size the vessel to provide about 5 minutes of liquid inventory between the normal liquid level and the bottom of the vessel (with the normal liquid level being at about the vessel's half-full level).

For the maximum design vapor velocity (which will set the drum's diameter), use the Souders-Brown equation:

Vmax = (k) [ (dL - dV) / dV ]^0.5

where:
    Vmax = maximum design vapor velocity, ft/sec
    dL = liquid density, lb/ft3
    dV = vapor density, lb/ft3
    k = 0.35 (when the drum includes a de-entraining mesh pad)

The GPSA Engineering Data Book recommends the following k values for vertical drums with horizontal mesh pads (at the denoted operating pressures):

0 psig: 0.35
    300 psig: 0.33
    600 psig: 0.30
    900 psig: 0.27
    1500 psig: 0.21

GPSA Notes:
    1. K = 0.35 at 100 psig; subtract 0.01 for every 100 psi above 100 psig
    2. For glycol or amine solutions, multiply above K values by 0.6 – 0.8.
    3. Typically use one-half of the above K values for approximate sizing of vertical separators without mesh pads.
    4. For compressor suction scrubbers and expander inlet separators, multiply K by 0.7 – 0.8
    The drum should have a vapor outlet at the top, liquid outlet at the bottom, and feed inlet at somewhat above the half-full level. At the vapor outlet, provide a de-entraining mesh pad within the drum such that the vapor must pass through that mesh before it can leave the drum. Depending upon how much liquid flow you expect, the liquid outlet line should probably have a level control valve.

As for the mechanical design of the drum (i.e. materials of construction, wall thickness, corrosion allowance, etc.), use the same methodology as for any pressure vessel.
    hani alghamdi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 02:56 AM

How calculate the flow rate
    skhayyom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 08:53 PM
    How can I design a flash drum to convert vapour in to liquid at temperature of 200 degrees centi and a pressure of 13 bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drum trap question [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs shower drain has been running more and more slowly over the past few months. We tried chemicals and snaking it, to no avail. I finally called a plumber last week. He opened the crawlspace and pointed out the drum trap, and said that it was likely a clog in the drum trap. He said...

Washing machine will not drain. The drum will not spin. [ 1 Answers ]

Washing machine will not drain. The drum will not spin. It make a loud whirring/grinding noise. There is no obvious blockage and have checked the pump. The pump is working fine and the impeller spins. Is this a blockage in the pipe or something else

Oil Drum BBQ's [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know anything about them? Im looking to make one but I'm not sure if there is a secret to doing it. I also want to attack a smoker on it but with gas that may not make sense to but still, lemmie know if you kanow anything. Thanks

Drum Trap Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, For the second time in a year, our bathtub drainage has become very slow. After the first incident, the plumbers snaked the line, which helped. Now, about a year later, the same problem persists, and a new plumber has told us we have a drum trap that needs to be replaced with a P trap. ...

View more questions Search