Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmcla305 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
    The House I'm renting is being auctioned off! What do I did?
    OK! I know nothing about renting but I have six months left on my lease and I just found a letter on our door saying the property will e auctioned to highest bidder on 12/14/07. So what am I supposed to do? My landlord will not return my phone calls and I don't want to somehow trap myself by not paying anymore rent, but I'm definitely going to need that money to move out. Am I entitled to anything from her? I've been paying 1000 bucks a month for her to get forclosed on? She never mentioned having any foreclosure issues to me at the time I signed the lease, is she allowed to withhold info like that? The only time I was ever suspicious until now was the fact that two months ago she sprung it on me that she wanted to show the house to a friend of hers that was interested in buying it and moving in... but I guess she won't be selling it now... I'm confused and 1500 miles away from home... someone please give me some advice! THANKS to all who try to help! -Matt
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
    If and when the foreclosure firm takes over the home, your lease will be voided. The catch is, that legally until that happens, you are still oblgated to pay rent if you are living in the bilding.

Have you discussed this with the landlord ?

Oct 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
    The LL, of course, will not return any of my calls, but we had talked about an early termination of the lease if thehouse had sold to her friend a few weeks ago. That was the last time I heard from her when she showed up at my doorstep with zero warning to show them the house
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Ok, if you have no money to move, you have little choice but to not pay the current month and use that money to move. Just undersand that the landlord can come after you for rent as long as they legally own the house.

Oct 29, 2007, 05:59 PM
    I understand... thanks for the help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House being foreclosed and we are renting? Landlord didn't pay! [ 9 Answers ]

We are renting a house in PWC virginia. The other morning someone was taken pictures of our home, My mom asked why they said the house is being foreclosed on Sept 28 at 11 am and to go look in Washington post and its listed on the 12 and the 19th. It just so happened it was the 19th. Sure enough it...

The house we have been renting has been sold. Now what? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I searched for a similar topic before I post this and found one that is very close to Our case ("the house in which i am renting is being forclosed on!" by krysmoma, on Jul 31, 2007 05:15 PM.) However, my question goes on. Please bear with me. My two roommates and I have been renting a...

The house in which I am renting is being forclosed on! [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting an apartment in a triple decker in Brockton, Massachusetts. We have been having feelings about a foreclosure happening and today we got confirmation. The landlord was served with a notice of a foreclosure on August 27. I want to know what will happen to me? Do I pay him rent for the...

Chapter 13 and selling or renting house [ 2 Answers ]

I am in my final year of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and have accepted a job 200 miles away in a different state. I cannot afford both an apartment there and my house payment. My son is already living there so I can stay with him and come home on weekends to get the house ready to sell. I haven't...

The house I am renting is being forclosed on [ 2 Answers ]

My friends rental house she is renting from an independent landlord is being forclosed on. They told her she needs to be out by the 1st of feb. DO they have to give her a formal notice and longer than 7 days?

View more questions Search