Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramona Doug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
    No hot water from Moen Single handle shower valve
    I am getting no hot water from my Moen single handle shower valve. I have plenty of pressure from cold water side. I removed the main handle to expose the valve. The hot water pipe has a small valve with a common head valve stem which I turned, hoping to unblock the valve, but this had no effect. Can you offer advice? Is it possible to remove the center of the main valve to access the inside of the pipe leading from the hot water pipe?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 02:26 PM
    You might not be flushing your water heater often enough to prevent crude from building up, maybe even the dip tub has deteriorated. Shut off you main and open another faucet to blow off pressure. Remove the entire cartridge and inspect the inlet ports. I'm betting you'll find small white bits, the color of the dip tub.
    Reddz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 08:38 AM
    If your dip tube is deteriorated you will have very very short hot water supply. Seen as you have to turn the water off to install your taps, there is a good chance that the cartridge could be plugged off from sediment. The sediment could be corroion of the water lines or from rust of the waterheater. Copper pipes will often build up sediment from hard water and can also build salt debries from softners that haven't completely desolved all salt. I am a journeyman plumber and found this to be most common. Newer waterlines, such as pex piping, will show water color through them and allow you to see rust coloring and such. Hopefully this helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Shower - Moen Single Handle Faucet [ 38 Answers ]

I've read most of the questions on this website about this matter, but I'm still confused. I pulled off the handle and wall plate. But what do I do after that? I see a small (4 inch approx.) hole in the wall with a "unit" that looks like a cartridge that holds the handle. I can turn it to hot...

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

Loss of hot water in Moen Shower facet - single, pull handle [ 8 Answers ]

I have lost significant pressure in my shower equipped with a Moen single handle pull out and rotate - R or L. I have a 2nd shower with identical unit - swapped cartridge - no change. Pulled out the posi-pressure valve on the hot side and found some debries, no change in pressure, may be worst....

Moen single handle diverter replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace a diverter on a single handle moen kitchen faucet?

Hot water handle leaking when shower is turned on [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water handle leaks when I turned the shower on... it doesn't leak normally when running a bath or when it is turned off... it's a relatively new setup.. not sure what trype it is...

View more questions Search