Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Captian Crunch Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Nail biting.I cant stop
    Hello,

I have been biting my nails for my whole life basically but its going to worse these past few years.
    I sit in class and I bit my nails for like the whole period which is kind of gross I think but I don't care what people think about me.
    Its just the fact that I want to stop biting my nails and I also tend to bit the skin around the nail.
    Is it to late or am I just going to bit my nails the rest of my life?
    I know biting nails can come from stress, etc but I am not stressed at all.
    :confused: :confused:
    Kia Posts: 272, Reputation: 13

Oct 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
    You just have to make a conscious decision every time you feel the urge to start biting. I know I had that problem( and I still do a little), but I stop when I want to. One time I wanted to see how long I could grow my nails, and I just paid attention whenever I put my hand up to my mouth to bite. I found out that I could overcome it, so I went back to not paying attention.. lol
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Crunch,
    It is stress that must have started the biting and since then it has become a habit.

Some recommend painting your nail with something that tastes disgusting (I am not sure of the name for what is available where you are).

Try this link
    Treatment of Nail Biting - Adults

Oct 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia
    you just have to make a conscious decision everytime you feel the urge to start biting. I know I had that problem( and I still do a little), but I stop when I want to. One time I wanted to see how long I could grow my nails, and I just paid attention whenever I put my hand up to my mouth to bite. I found out that I could overcome it, so I went back to not paying attention..lol
    It might work
    But I just can't help it
    Its like a everyday thing

Oct 29, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Crunch,
    It is stress that must have started the biting and since then it has become a habit.

Some recommend painting your nail with something that tastes disgusting (I am not sure of the name for what is available where you are).

Try this link
    Treatment of Nail Biting - Adults
    I think our right its just a habit now
    A bad one
    But yea I've tried it and I didn't really use it when I should or reinforced the nail painting
    But I will look into it
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 05:15 PM
    My mom would paint my sisters nail with that stuff Firmbeliever is talking about (I too, don't know the name)... my sister said it was gross! It broke the habit... but years later I still catch her doing it every once in awhile.

Oct 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    My mom would paint my sisters nail with that stuff Firmbeliever is talking about (I too, don't know the name)....my sister said it was gross! It broke the habit....but years later I still catch her doing it every once in awhile.
    I just need the name of this lol and I would buy it in a second
    If anyone knows the name PLEASE TELL ME lol
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Captian Crunch
    i just need the name of this lol and i would buy it in a second
    if anyone knows the name PLEASE TELL ME lol
    I found one... called 'Nibble No More' at Jessica Cosmetics... it's only like $5.

Or check you local grocery store or supermarket in the nail section... they may carry something similar.
    Saigecorinn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia
    you just have to make a conscious decision everytime you feel the urge to start biting. I know I had that problem( and I still do a little), but I stop when I want to. One time I wanted to see how long I could grow my nails, and I just paid attention whenever I put my hand up to my mouth to bite. I found out that I could overcome it, so I went back to not paying attention..lol

I know it might sound crazy but you put hit sauce and pepper on you fingers and you wait for a couple minutes then wash off. When done you will want to bight nails but if you do you will want to stop because of taste.
    Anita123rox123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 01:24 AM
    I have the problem of biting my fingernail but last week I've decided to stop and I haven't bitten them as much as I have been over the past year. Its especially tough because I tend to bite them when I get nervous and this week just happens to be my year 10 half yearlys. Last week my friend (who used to bite her nails a few years ago and now she stopped and has REALLY long nail) told me that biting your fingernails is the equivalent to licking a toilet seat. Next time you go to bite them think about that and all the bacteria on your fingernails. That's what I'm doing and its working. I have tried the nail biting stuff.. I've tried both nibble no more and stop and grow but they never seem to work on me. I get used to the horrible taste after a week!

I hope this will help you. Remember the toilet seat!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop my kitten from biting? [ 19 Answers ]

My 11 week old kitten is adopted and highly spirited. She is "entertained" by almost anything. However, she has begun testing her teeth on us whenever she can and though she's playing and not biting hard, it is painful. She bit a path the whole way up my arm this morning. Any suggestions? ...

How do I stop by puppy biting? [ 6 Answers ]

My little lab puppy is currently only about 8 weeks old but every time u go to stroke her she will bite you - only playfully of course, but still... they have quite sharp teeth! I was wondering if this is something she is going to grow out of, or if there is something I have to do to stop her doing...

My puppy won't stop biting! [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 9 1/2 week old Golden Retriever. She is fine until it comes to biting. She is continually trying to bite my family members and I. Is it normal for her to be biting all the time? All the other people I know say that their puppies never bite that much. How can I get her to stop?

How do I stop my maltese from biting? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I stop my maltese from biting?? Tucker is 11 weeks this Sunday we have had him only for 6 days and five nites I love him to bits but he is driving me crazy!! He bites my feet and anywhere else he can as well as every person he interacts with! Tucker also bites shoes, wires exc.. very rarely...

Nail Biting 19 month old. [ 4 Answers ]

My 19 month old son wore his nails down playing outside a few weeks ago (playing with gravel) and started sucking on his fingers to relieve the discomfort. He is now constantly biting his nails, and even a little on the skin. They are extremely short and I worry about infection. I would like to...

View more questions Search