Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandi89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Do I have to involve him?
    I am 8 months and 3 days pregnant and the past few months have been difficult. MY ex boyfriend basically treated me horrible by saying things about me on the internet, calling me when I asked him not to and going to my house and ringing the door bell,things like that... anyway he says that he is going to get a DNA test and prove that he is the father and then he is going to put himself on child support and go for joint or full custody. Now if I have been paying all the doctors bills and I have provided everything my child will need when she gets here, do I have to let him know when she is born? Do I have to put him on the birthcertificate? And do I have to let him see her? Because honestly I don't think that he is right in the head and I would not ever want my child around that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Yes. If he is the father, he has rights. You can't just arbitrarily exclude him. You need to contact an attorney so you can file for full custody immediately after birth. You need to document the BF's abuses so you can convince a judge not to give him custody or visitation. But this has to be done through a court. Once he finds out (and he will find out) that the baby was born, he can go to court and file for a paternity test, then for custody. If you tried to bypass the courts, that won't look ood for you.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Oct 30, 2007, 10:34 AM
    However, just as a note here, until he legally establishes that he is the father (by DNA, signed affidavit of paternity or order of the court) he does not have any legal rights to the child. You do not have to let him see her, you do not have to tell him when you have the baby and you do not have to put him on the birth certificate. BUT if you do not do these things it may appear to the court that you are trying to keep the child from him and without really good reason that may be held against you in court. So, I would be careful and most definitely contact a lawyer (most will at least consult for free) and find out what would be the best actions for you to take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone have a cure for a broken heart that doesn't involve TV, lube&fingers or sugar? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I'm totally confused... I don't know what I want out of life yet and I don't want this boy that I used to be with but I find myself missing him and I can't get over the fact that he isn't with me I want to start dating again because I'm not hideous I just can't get over him to the point...

View more questions Search