Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emilian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2005, 04:17 PM
    Mortgage interest and real estate tax deduction for J-1 visa
    Hi,
    I am in the US for 18 months, as an exchange professional. I plan to buy a condo or co-op in NYC and would like to know if I can deduct the interest on mortgage loan and the tax included in the monthly maintenance, from my taxed revenue?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Emilian:

Since you are under a J-1 visa, I assume you are an "exempt individual" as defined by IRS Pub 519. If so, you will file a tax return as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ).

This being the case, you cannot claim mortgage interest or property taxes as an itemized deduction on the SChedule A attached to Form 1040NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Home interest deduction in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about the home loan deduction. I was in F-1 and OPT in 2005 the entire year. And I am supposed to file 1040NR. I bought a house in Oct. 2005, and received form 1098 for loan interest and points paid. Are they tax deductable? In the schedule A of 1040NR where I do my itemized...

Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

We Are Selling Our Home Which Has Two Separate Properties. The People Who Want To Buy Both Properties Put In A Contract. Now They Wish To Divide To Two Contracts One For Each Property. Please Note That Both Properties Are Separately Addressed And Separately Deeded. If We Agree To This Are They...

Mortgage interest deduction for dual-status [ 3 Answers ]

OPT 1/05-8/05, H-1, 8/05-12/05, I know that I need to file a non-resident form (1040NR). 1 question: Do I get the whole year's mortgage interest deduction $ 8800 on 1040NR? Where do I put it? Thanks.

Splitting deduction interest & prop tax [ 3 Answers ]

My ex & I sold our home during our divorce in 2005. On my Schedule A, do I have a right to claim one half of the mortgage interest and property taxes paid during the time we owned it? What if I claim half and he claims the entire amount? We lost money on the sale. Is there a deduction for that?

View more questions Search