Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerrye60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Putting down a 20 year-old cat
    Hello,

Our 20 year-old cat became lethargic, weak and couldn't walk. She had bloody urine too. Her health had been failing for a long time but she did pretty well until suddenly , almost overnight, she became completely limp, weak and wouldn't eat.

Two years ago she almost died but we started giving her fluids and fed her mostly meat baby food (at the vet's suggestion). He told us that she probably had liver disease and would go into liver failure. Despite that, she lived over 20 years, then suddenly went out. We decided to put her down considering her age and that she seemed so miserable.

What could have happened so fast... overnight? In a matter of about 3 days she went from okay to very ill!

Thank You
    Jerrye
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Sometimes when a cat is ready to die, the decline in health is very rapid. We had a cat that was about 23 years old, it was my mother's cat, and he was fine except for the usual slowing down and less activeness of old age, and his teeth were getting bad, but one day he started acting strange as if he was in a lot of pain and very tired, and he passed in the night a few days later.

I am very very sorry for your loss :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

My 2 year old male cat has a swollen lip! [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old cats bottom lip is swollen. It started about a week ago and has been bigger then gets smaller... It is now staying the same size. He is still eatiing and acting normal but will not let me touch or even get close to look at it. It has swollen to be over his bottom teeth. First I...

Healthy 12 year old cat had a stroke [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 year old female cat had a stoke yesterday around 4 in the afternoon. I immediately took her to the vet and he kept her overnight and put her on IV and a cortizone shot. She could not stand and was totally limp. As of 11:00 this morning, she is still not standing. He does not think that...

Recent Lethargic Twelve Year Old Female Cat [ 1 Answers ]

Very active... to sleeping all day and night, eating very little and not using the litter box at all. Have NEVER experienced this with any cat. I guess that a visit to the vet is very necessary. *sigh* :confused:

View more questions Search