Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasontyip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Painting Cabinets - Oil based or Water based?
    Going to be painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. I heard that oil based paint would be best, but don't want to deal with the extra mess. Is there anything wrong with using a good acrylic enamel?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
    No, there's nothing wrong with using an acylic latex enamel. That is what I put on my kitchen cabinets a number of years ago. But, the oil-based paint would be more durable overall. I sanded, put on a coat of primer and then a couple coats of the paint. I also used a semi-gloss so that I could wash them. If the painted surface is going to be touched by hands a lot, then it would be better to go with an oil-based paint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Oil Based Stains Void Fire Rating on Cedar Shingles [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first post on this Board - I appreciate any insight that people might have. We are in the middle of a large remodel and plan to use cedar shingles to side the house. The city that we live in has very strict building codes and we understand that shingles must be fire rated to pass final...

Painting Old Kitchen Cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

The cabinets in my rental apartment are dark brown from the 1970's looks like a satin finish probably some kind of varnish. The cabinets are in good condition with no peeling. I want to paint them white & avoid a lot of work like stripping or heavy sanding. What kind of primer & paint I should use...

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

View more questions Search