Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aniki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Skin lightening gone wrong? Please post it.
    Hello,

My name is Vincent Krouwels and I am a journalist for Leiden University in The Netherlands.
    I've come across research conducted in The Netherlands, concerning skin lightning products use among immigrant groups.
    Also, as I might not have to mention to most of you, the side effects of skin lightening (bleaching) creams causes serious health issues. Furthermore, the use of these products takes on an addictive mentality as you have to keep using the products on allmost a daily basis.
    Side effects consisted of: higher risk of skincancer, skindisease vitiligo, darkening (instead of lightening!) of the skin and the causing of bruises, thickening of the skin and yellow fingernails.

Are there people here willing to tell me they're story of using those products and actually experiencing the side effects?

Finally, I'm not here to judge you or tell you just how bad it is and to stop using it. You are all free individuals, but just beware of what you are about to apply to your skin. You only got one face.
    Skinwhite Posts: 77, Reputation: 6

Nov 8, 2005, 03:58 PM
    Aniki when you say bleaching creams are you talking about the ones that contain hydroquinone? Does this study include the natural creams that have ingredients like vitamins, fruit acids/glycolic/lactic, kojic, licorice, etc? Does your research show side effects with these ingredients?

Nov 9, 2005, 07:34 AM
    Hi,

Creams containing hydroquinone, yes. Also some mercurybased products I believe.
    girlalu Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 06:35 PM
    Re: research
    Hi! Does your research limit to the whitening/bleaching creams only? What about whitening pills? If bleaching creams have hazardous effects, how much more with the pills?

I think people should be more careful about what they do to their body nowadays. Beauty has its price, too.

Nov 11, 2005, 01:10 AM
    No research has been conducted to effects of those pills as far as I know.

Too bad nobody wants to answer my question...
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Nov 13, 2005, 05:10 AM
    I think hydroquinone should NEVER even be considered for whitening. I had a really bad experience with them. I once had this allergic reaction on my neck from costume jewelry. I found out I was allergic to nickel so I thought of whitening it with a hydroquinone containing toner. It peeled like crazy & itched so much I couldn't sleep! I ended up with sleepless nights, a pruritic neck, a bad rash & it made the area much darker than it was before! Damn! I had to use a steroid cream to minimize my scratching. The result... it turned to a second degree burn look alike that looked totally hideous. So for those who are even contemplating on using hydroquinone... think again. You may end up with skin patches 3 times darker.
    themaakos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinwhite View Post
    Aniki when you say bleaching creams are you talking about the ones that contain hydroquinone? Does this study include the natural creams that have ingredients like vitamins, fruit acids/glycolic/lactic, kojic, licorice, etc? Does your research show side effects with these ingredients?
    What about HYDROQUIONE FREE products do they too make one look like a zebra black and white at the same time. Have you seen Rehanna lately she looks more whiter more than before and I am using hydroquinone free product that she is using, so do you think we are in trouble?
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:34 AM

Its so funny that people always want to show/portrait the glass half empty side of skin lightening aka the negative side

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Skin Lightening [ 6 Answers ]

So, I'm African American and moved out west. My skin has gotten a good 4 (no joke) shades darker and I am wondering what kind of creams or pills actually work. Would anybody know. Also, would anybody know how long it would take for my skin to get back to its original color?

Skin lightening [ 24 Answers ]

Helpp have dark skin need to lighten it overall.. which is the best product?

DPA skin lightening? [ 9 Answers ]

http://abaco.ya.com/skindepigment/ Is it a scam?

Skin lightening [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything like the lightening pill or bleaching cream.and is the effect permanent.

View more questions Search