Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    This is a great post FB! I am sorry I didn't see it sooner.

if you were left-handed you were considered to have the mark of the devil upon you.
    I also remember reading that it was around the same time period in which "Bless you" was instilled in western societies when someone sneezed. Supposedly, when you sneezed, you were off guard and were allowing the devil to enter into you and saying "Bless you" was a way to keep the devil from entering someone's body. Originally, from what I remember, the reason for the separation of eating and cleaning yourself with your right and left hand, was done to avoid fecal & urinary contamination of your food.

I am curious as to what is the specific law and the reasoning behind it, in Islam, that has you follow the right/left rules. If you have the time, you would post with that please?
    Ruby,
    Thank you!
    About being marked with the devil, we do not believe in exactly the same way,but we do believe that the devil eats and drinks with the left hand(also that the devil partakes of the food we eat when we resemble it's habits and blessings maybe lost due to this) ,hence to be different from the devil , we are recommended to put our right hand/feet first in all the honourable things we do (I hope that wasn't confusing).

Islam Question and Answer - Having the habit of eating with one's left hand
    Like shaking hands,putting on clothes/shirts(we put in the right hand in first),putting on footwear,entering the mosque/home,ending prayers with tasleem to the right first,doing the ritual washing(wudh'oo) before prayers etc, we are either to start with the right hand or prioritise the right side.

For things like blowing the nose cleaning oneself after using the bathroom,entering the toilet, etc we are recommended to use the left .

Those with physical disabilities with using their right hand are not treated differently,but those who are able to use their right hand are to be reminded of the good habit and help them try to make it a habit.
    I have not heard of being forced to write or that sort of thing,but we do remind our children make a habit of eating and drinking with their right hand.

About sneezing-
    We believe that something of the germs entering our nose leaves when we sneeze,hence we praise the Almighty Al-hamdu Lillaah (praise be to Allaah), and the one who hears me praise the Almighty says 'Yarhamuk Allaah (May Allaah have mercy on you)
    I replyYahdeekum Allaah wa yuslihu baalakum (May Allaah guide you and rectify your condition)
    Islam Question and Answer - The etiquette of sneezing: praising Allaah, saying “May Allaah have mercy on you” and responding to the one who says that

I know to those who have never done this,it does sound like a lot of work,but it has become a habit and we do not even realise that we say it when we sneeze.Sometimes we may forget to do this,after all we are human.

And I guess we just play it safe even if we wash our hands after,if we use one hand for one thing and not the other,there is more chance that the eating hand will be clean.
    Islam Question and Answer - Muslim bathroom etiquette

Well, I guess tomorrow when FB signs back on she can clarify if it is a religious or cultural difference. Perhaps both?
    Islam being a way of life, there is little difference between cultural and religious practices.When we practice our religion as best as we can you will find that all the muslims around the world has similarities in the cultural practices we do.:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 01:23 AM
    I tried to spread the "love" some more for you firmbeliever, but could not. I just wanted to say that I think that you have provided an excellent answer above!
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 03:36 AM
    Thank you Clough..
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 04:46 AM
    I am considered a lefty.

What do you call those people that can also switch back and forth between left and right. I am one of those as well.

Joe
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 04:48 AM
    P.S. I thought that those days were long gone when they considered somebody a warlock or evil because they used their left hand. My mother was constantly wacked in the left hand by a nun to stop the evil habit. Oh my God, please forgive that nun.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    What do you call those people that can also switch back and forth between left and right. I am one of those as well.
    Ambidextrous.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 05:20 AM
    On a related side note this whole discussion reminded me of a good book I've read. It is useful for anybody interested in the reasons behind right handed and left handedness

Right Hand, Left Hand - Chris McManus - Official Website

I found it very enjoyable and educational!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:16 AM
    FB, thank you so much for explaining. It is very interesting. Do you know if any of the other cultures/faiths of India, follow the same rules or is this just in the Islamic culture?
    By the way, I tried accessing all the links you provided and they all denied access.? I definitely have an interest in reading them.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:35 AM
    So what happens when the form of punishment is the amputation of the right hand ?

I'm a lefty ,I eat with my left hand . Any sanitary issues are resolved by using soap and water .
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Those people get to stinkin pretty bad.
    Either that or they starve .
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Tom, she answered that question here:
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Those with physical disabilities with using their right hand are not treated differently,but those who are able to use their right hand are to be reminded of the good habit and help them try to make it a habit.
    With all my blathering on about the subject, this probably became lost in my original post. It answered FB's question and she might not have noticed it. It states what you have said.
    With the advent of our sanitary laws and being taught from a young age, that we must always wash our hands after relieving ourselves, western society does not insist that we use one hand over the other anymore.
    I think the difference is that in Western society (at least in the U.S.) most of us tend to follow our social etiquette rather than religious/cultural. Of course, there are muslims here and I am sure that more than a select few follow the cultural/religious laws of Islam, as FB does.
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 08:30 AM
    FB, thank you so much for explaining. It is very interesting. Do you know if any of the other cultures/faiths of India, follow the same rules or is this just in the Islamic culture?
    By the way, I tried accessing all the links you provided and they all denied access. ???? I definitely have an interest in reading them.
    http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln=eng
    Try this link.
    I am not sure why it is not accessible.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Islam...&rls=en&hs=Xju
    The first three sites mentioned are the ones I linked to..

From what I know about Indians(all religions included), most of them prefer the right hand,giving or receiving things,eating.One of my teachers(a Christian) from India will never take anything if we offer it with our left hand, she would politely ask that we give it with our right hand.

http://www.indax.com/trculture.html
    "Left hand right hand - A very important, yet subtle, factor in India is avoiding the use of your left hand when interacting with others. In India, you use your left hand to clean yourself after using the toilet so it has extremely negative associations. ALWAYS give and receive anything with your right hand, or at least with both hands together. If you give change, accept something, or eat something with your left hand, it will be noticed, though politely not commented on. Using your right hand only is one of the easiest things for Westerners to forget to do, but it makes a difference. A friend who has been coming to India for more than a decade, but only recently made it a point to only use his right hand, said he really noticed how much people appreciated him making an attempt. It may mean a bit of extra effort at first, but it will be appreciated, and will soon become automatic. Even if you are left handed, try and adjust as much as possible."

As India is a very mixed country as far as religions go, the practice of using the right hand could have come from any of them, Hindus,Christians,Muslims,Buddists,Sikhs etc.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Dec 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
    It's a tradition that dates back to the days before soap was invented and I think it has more to do with table-manners than hygiene today. Think about it: Imagine that you are preparing food, you have a knife in one hand and food in the other.. which hand is the food in?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Besides the sanitary thing...

Up until the seventies teachers use to smack lefties hands if they tried to write with their left hand so left handed people tended to learn to use their right hand for everything.
    They thought that if you used your left hand there was something wrong with you and they were correcting the wrong. Then they realized that many artists are left handed and quit making them change from their left.

Left handed myths and misunderstandings

Howstuffworks "Are left-handers quicker thinkers than righties?"

Famous Left-Handers
    lilred40 Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Until I was 18 yrs. Old, I only used my right hand. Then an unfortunate accident left me with a broken right hand, and I had to learn how to eat, wipe, write, etc... with my left hand for 6 weeks. Over the years I've become quite talented with both hands. In some country's it is an insult to use the left hand for anything other than in the bathroom.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 08:10 PM
    When I got bored in class, I practiced writing and printing using my left hand. That's what it takes practice. I use what's more convenient.

Feet is somewhat the same way. The right foot normally operates tha accelerator in a car. The left foot really doesn't really need any control until you put a clutch in the equation. Initially it's clumsy, but improves with practice.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 04:43 AM
    Hi Firm,

A long time ago I heard an interesting "twist" on hand shaking from my grandfather:

He told me; acknowledging a person by shaking their right hand was a greeting. However by shaking the right hand you were somewhat assured that the other person could not use that hand to harm you and thus there was no weapon. Obviously; unless they were left handed but most people were and are now right handed. He said this was the origin of handshaking.

The Handshake: Interesting Thing of the Day

Left Behind
    "I've read at least half a dozen contradictory accounts of the origin of the handshake. Because handshakes clearly predate written history, all these explanations are ultimately somewhat speculative. But the most popular story is that an open right hand showed you were not carrying a weapon; if two men met and displayed empty right hands, this presumably meant a basic level of trust existed that neither would stab the other. In one variant of this story, the handshake evolved from an elbow-to-wrist patdown to check for hidden knives; in another, the shaking motion was supposed to dislodge any sharp objects that may have been kept in the sleeve.

Of course, this explanation, while plausible enough, doesn't account for left-handed men, who presumably would have been happy to extend the right hand in greeting while wielding a dagger in the left. But in many parts of the world, since ancient times, the left hand has been considered the bathroom hand, the one never used for eating, giving, or receivingnor, by extension, for greetingwhether you're left-handed or not.

Meanwhile, the I'm-not-going-to-stab-you story doesn't tell us why the handshake won out over other greeting gestures in the West. After all, in some cultures the standard greeting (even between people who don't know each other well) is a kiss on one or both cheeks; in others, people hug, rub noses, bow, or even stick out their tongues. Writer Margaret Visser suggests one possibility. As she noted in her book The Way We Are, at one time the English were more demonstrative with their gestures of greetingfor example, English men routinely greeted all women with a kiss on the mouth. As part of the Victorian behavioral reforms, public kissing of any kind became socially unacceptable and the handshake came into fashion for both men and women as a convenient way to keep a person at arm's length. So to speak."
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    But in many parts of the world, since ancient times, the left hand has been considered the bathroom hand
    I'll bet a lot of "righties" cheat and wipe with their right hand. After all, who's going to know?

I'm not telling which hand I use.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Nohelp4u, I agree with you, with everything that you can carry away that is 'free" to the "touch"(and people not hand washing.) It is simply amazing that we even shake someone's hand, knowing where it probably was.
    Just an idea Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 7, 2008, 04:24 AM
    I agree with you, but did you ask yourself why those people prefer using the right hand for honorable deeds or not, and where does this idea come from. As I am muslim I know that it came from Islam. There are so many things that non muslim ignore, they recently started to find some answers in sicence but how come all these questions were already answered in koran before and they don't know, this must make a human think once again about humanity, Allah (God) and Islam.

Take care all.

Su

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taken in hand [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone here know what a "taken in hand" relationship with your spouse is? Do you know if it works? I've heard some things, but I would like to talk to someone in one. Isn't a certain amount of a husband being dominating normal in any relationship? What's normal now days? Is the man...

Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work [ 6 Answers ]

I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor...

My hand [ 1 Answers ]

My hand seems to be asleep every time I wake up... sometimes its my whole forearm... its not just the numb and tingly feeling... it really hurts... I try to put it straight down to my side so the blood flow will go back to my hand but it doesn't always help... this will last usually half of my...

Need a hand [ 3 Answers ]

Im 53 years old, educated so long ago that its un-important now Had a realistic dream some three years ago started writing it down and havent stopped since. Three books (Intercepted Thoughts #1, Disputed Territory.. Earth #2, Earth Dispatch One #3) one short story A Hastening of Maturity and...

Air handler horizontal left hand or right hand? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in a horizontal left hand or horizontal right hand application as far as an air handler? Also, which end would be the return and/or supply? The "a" coil is at one end and the blower motor is at the other end. Thanks

View more questions Search