Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stressed-to-the-max Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Purchasing a new Home then BK
    BASIC HISTORY:
    I live in Southern California and I am one of the "fortunate" one that is in the current mortgage ARM crisis. December 2008 my "fixed rate" ARM will then go adjustable. My mortgage is $3400.00/month - not including taxes or insurance. Houses in my area have been on the market for 8 months and now my house isn't worth what I paid for it. :eek:

I am self employed and business has taken a nose dive over the last year. I am struggling to keep afloat. I have maxed out my credit cards paying Peter by "borrowing" from Paul. I am paying minimums on all the cards.

My current credit score is 705.

I am contemplating moving to New Mexico (where it is cheaper than California), buying a house. I would let the California house go into foreclosure and file bankruptcy. What would be the ramifications of doing this or is this possible?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Oct 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I assume that you have a "Purchase Money Mortgage" on your home that is secured by a Deed of Trust. If the lender uses the D of T statute to foreclose on the home then they cannot get a deficiency against you. If they do a Judicial Foreclosure (which they probably won't), then they could get a deficiency judgment against you. For more info do a search for "CA foreclosure deficiency". Discuss the possibility of doing a "Short Sale" with your Realtor. That I where the lender may be willing to settle for less than is owed on the loan. That course is better than a foreclosure. A foreclosure or short sale MAY result in tax consequences. If you are able to hang on with your current payment, the lender MAY be willing to modify the loan for a time, and keep the payments the same. Give them a call, because the lender doesn't want a foreclosure either. Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
    To add to what Dr D said, going foreclosure or bankruptcy will certainlyaffect your ability to get financing for another home purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Purchasing a home for cash [ 1 Answers ]

I know how a home is purchase with a mortgage. What is the process when a home is not financed, but purchased with cash?

Eviction for not Purchasing a home [ 4 Answers ]

I signed a 2 year lease contract with an option to buy. It has now been 1 year and the landlord wants me to purchase the property. I said no. Now I have been served with an eviction letter because of a breech of contract ( I paid the rent 3 days late 1 time). I need to know if I should get a...

Purchasing home in receivership. My rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I am currently attempting to purchase a home in receivership. Although I am ready to agree to the counter offer that was made and "sign on the dotted line", unfortuneatly, I am told that our offer will not be presented to the judge until a certain date (april 4) along with another buyers offer....

Purchasing a home [ 2 Answers ]

How do I purchase a very expensive home by paying the back taxes ONLY?

Renter in a Lease - Wanting to Purchasing A Home [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me please, I am currently in a lease for the past 19-months and have 5-more left to go on a 2-year Rental Lease. With the housing market prices falling, I decided that I want to purchase a house. Is there anywhere in Maryland Law that indicates that if a Renter wants to purchase a...

View more questions Search