Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    metropolisiii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Monitor keeps turning off until "warmed up"
    Hi all. I'm having an annoying problem with my monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer and enter Windows XP my monitor will keep turning off an on for a minute or two until it is warmed up. It also does this when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will turn off and I'll have to reset the monitor by pressing the monitor's power button. I've tried switching the refresh rate and resolution but to no avail. My monitor is getting old so I'm thinking it could be that but it only will do it when I load Windows in full mode. It's fine in safe mode. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 8, 2005, 02:49 AM
    The clue here is safe mode. That means either the normal mode driver or the resolution/refresh/colour depth is causing the problem in normal mode. I would first update the driver, from the manufacturers website. If that does not work, drop the screen size down to 640x48 and 16 colours, this should work as it is the same as safe mode. Then gradually increase these settings back to where you normally have it.

Monitors, as they get older will fail at higher resolutions. You may be on the limit of the monitor, so reducing the display properties may allow the screen to last a bit longer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2005, 04:33 AM
    Monitor
    Hi,
    Stu's explanation sounds very good. My own original monitor was a Gateway EV 700, which started "going out" around 4 yrs old. It showed some of the signs yours does, but mostly got to the point where the brightness could no longer turned up, giving a good, bright screen display. It was very "dull", not bright at all.
    I do suggest, if you buy a new one, to get an LCD monitor, flat panel. Walmart, or other large department stores have them, and they are very reasonable now. Picture quality is great, brightness is great, and it only uses about 1/4 the "depth" space as the original monitor. Of course, I am assuming you don't already have an LCD monitor!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2005, 06:38 AM
    While its true LCD prices have come down, they are still much higher than CRT prices. In my opinion the only reason to go with an LCD over a CRT is space. Many people do have limited space to set up their PCs and CRTs take up a lot of space. But there is not sufficient difference in the quality of the picture to justify the extra cost of an LCD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Monitor not working "No Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means) It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional All I get is a “No Signal” message on the...

Monitor "standbying" after replacement of fans [ 6 Answers ]

This problem has been solved - solution at the bottom. My PC: Windows XP Home AMD 64 3000+ 1 GB RAM NVIDIA 6800 LE 128 MB Asus K8N motherboard - and I never clock ---------------

Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is...

View more questions Search