Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Oct 28, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Liquid in baby's left kidney. Getting told different things
    I am 29 weeks and expecting a boy. I had an ultrasound done at 17 weeks and was told that our baby boy had liquid in both his kidneys. One was 3.9 mm and the other was 4.2 mm. THe tech and the doctor explained to us to not worry and that 9 1/2 out of ten times the liquid goes away before the baby is born. They said it's normal to have some liquid, normal meant anything 4.0mm and under. They set us up for another ultrasound four weeks later. Well the liquid in the right kidney went away but the left kidney went from 3.9 mm to 4.1. So we scheduled another ultrasound in another four weeks then it went up to 4.4 mm. I asked my obgyn about this and she explained that if the liquid does not go down that the baby will have to have surgery to drain the liquid within 48 hours of being born, but she also told me not to worry because it usually goes away. I just had another ultrasound last week and now it is up to 5.0 mm. The doctor on duty at the ultrasound place told me it's "normal" to have liquid in the kidney as long as it's below 7 mm. THen I asked her what would happen if it went past 7 mm and she just told me that he is more prone to bladder infections and fevers. I asked her about draining the liquid and she says it's not necessary. So then the next day after my ultrasound I had a doctors appointment with my obgyn, but she is out of the country so I saw different doctor for that day and I asked him about it. He told me it's normal to have some liquid, it's very common for boys. Other then his left kidney, he is very healthy and everything is as it should be. So what's the deal? Obviously it's not very "normal" if I have to keep going every 4 weeks for an ultrasound to monitor his kidneys. They told me the name of this but I cannot remember what it was. It's just getting annoying to be told one thing then another thing. ANyone else go through this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Is it called antenatal hydronephrosis?
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Oct 28, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Yeah I just googled it, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Yes, sweetie, that is what it's called. I just wanted to see if the term sounded familiar.

Here is some great info on it. Any only look at medical info preferably from a .edu site rather than a .com site. You'll get more accurate info. (We are only allowed to do our research and write our papers using ONLY .edu sites)

Antenatal Hydronephrosis

Antenatal (before birth) hydronephrosis (fluid filled enlargement of the kidney) is detected in the fetus by ultrasound studies performed as early as the first trimester of pregnancy. In most instances this diagnosis will not change obstetric care, but will require surveillance and possible surgery during infancy and childhood.

Usual causes of antenatal hydronephrosis:

Blockage This may occur at the kidney in the ureteropelvic junction (UPJ), at the bladder in the ureterovesical junction, or in the urethra (posterior urethral valves). Blockages usually have to be corrected.

Reflux Vesicoureteral reflux occurs when the valve between the bladder and the ureter is incompetent permitting urine to backflow to the kidney when the bladder fills or empties. Most children (75%) outgrow this during childhood but need surveillance and antibiotic prophylaxis to try to prevent kidney damage before they outgrow the reflux. Only a minority of refluxers require surgical correction either because of failure to outgrow reflux or because of breakthrough urinary tract infections.

Duplications, etc. Perhaps 1% of all humans have two collecting tubes from a kidney. These may show up on fetal ultrasound. Occasionally patients with duplication have a ureterocele which is a balloon-like obstruction at the end of one of the duplex tubes.

Multicystic kidney is a non-functional cystic kidney.

Management During Pregnancy

In nearly all instances of antenatal hydronephrosis, ultrasound surveillance is all that is necessary. In the rare fetus with severe obstruction of both kidneys and insufficient amniotic fluid, drainage of the kidneys or bladder by tube or operation has been performed experimentally. While these procedures are technically possible, the outcome of the babies has not, to date, been improved. These babies are likely to have very abnormal kidneys that do not function well and also may have inadequate lung development. For most cases of antenatal hydronephrosis pregnancy is not affected and delivery can be performed normally. Very huge obstructed kidneys may require C-section delivery, but this is unusual.

Management After Birth

Postnatal ultrasound is usually performed on the third day of life. If hydronephrosis persists we must rule out reflux with a voiding cystourethrogram (this requires a catheter in the bladder and we usually use antibiotic prophylaxis) and obstruction with a diuretic renal scan (requiring an IV and a catheter). The renal scan is more accurate if delayed until the baby is one month old. Most refluxers are managed by antibiotics and surveillance with periodic ultrasounds and voiding cystograms. Most blockages require surgical correction. In some babies the evidence for obstruction is marginal or the degree of blockage is mild. In these babies the tests might be repeated after a few months. After all testing is done, some babies have hydronephrosis without reflux or obstruction. We usually follow these patients with periodic ultrasounds to monitor the hydronephrosis and the growth of the kidneys. A multicystic kidney doesn't work, but the opposite kidney is usually normal. There is controversy whether a multicystic kidney should be removed or left alone. Unless it is causing a problem with breathing or eating - and unless there is a question of tumor or blockage - we usually leave these alone in infancy and do a follow-up ultrasound at 6 months and a year. If the multicystic kidney is still large we recommend removal.
    This info came from this site Antenatal Hydronephrosis

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work [ 6 Answers ]

I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor...

Things mom told you [ 32 Answers ]

Here's something my Mom told me when I was little and I giggle now when I think about it. When my Mom divorced my Father I asked her why, she said {BECAUSE HE DIDENT BRUSH HIS TEETH} I always made sure my mom seen me brushing!

My baby's daddy [ 7 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the date of my last period is July 9'th. I had sexual encounters with two different men in that month. One on the 15'th and another on the 21'st and 22'nd. Can you please tell me who fathered my baby?:confused: :confused: :o :o :(

Baby's last name [ 4 Answers ]

I am 6 months pregnant and so confused. The baby's father wants the baby to have his last name, but the dad has not help or been a part of the pregnancy this far. I have invited him to all my doctor's appt. and he says he wants to come but never does. He has 2 kids already and the live with him. He...

How do I change baby's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old daughter her father wanted her to have his last name so I gave my baby his last name but needless to say he is not even apart of her life anymore I live in west Virginia and he lives in ny my question is how much would it cost to change her last name

View more questions Search