Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    S SID Posts: 91, Reputation: 11

Oct 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Farm animals.
    What really did come first, the hen or the egg? And when its alive why do we call it a hen and when we eat it it's chichen?:confused: :D :eek: :rolleyes:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Umm, the hen is the female and the rooster is the male. They are both chicken.

Oct 27, 2007, 05:23 PM
    So what came first? And surely we don't eat the cockeral/rooster?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
    That is the age old question.

Oct 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Yep, with no logical answer! Cockeral in a basket anyone? Rooster with fries? Hen chow mein? Just doesn't go does it!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Of course the rooster, who is needed on some chicken farms to fertilize the hens, gets eaten (eventually) but usually male chickens are tough and stringy. The hens are plump and tender. There needs to be one rooster who can fertilize many hens. Nowadays, roosters are not important on factory farms, but are vital if the farmer has free-range chickens.

The chicken came first.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Many a rooster made it to my Grandma's chicken soup. Or if she was making chicken and dumplings. I will never forget one rooster, a beautiful bird, so colorful and very prolific. But mean as a rattlesnake. One day he took his last chunk out of my Grandma's leg and he ended up in Sunday's dinner.

Oct 28, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Now I don't know whether to feel sorry for your Grandma or the rooster?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 06:58 AM
    The egg came first it was late by a proto-chicken. A bird that was very close but not queit the modern definition of a chicken. A small final mutation in the gametes of said proto chicken resulted in it laying a chicken egg whence the first chicken came.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SUICIDAL SID
    And when its alive why do we call it a hen and when we eat it it's chichen?:confused: :D :eek: :rolleyes:
    Lets not forget, the little ones are chicks.. so once the hens and roosters become food they are chick'ens!

Oct 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Got to say I like your answer firm believer.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
    HAY -SUICIDAL SID , Ive got a question ? ( If it takes a chicken and a half , a day and a half to lay a egg and a half, How long does it take arooster sitting on a door knob to hatch out a hardware store??
    Figure this one out:::: , GOOD DAY AND GOOD LUCK,::::: F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do farm fresh eggs keep? [ 19 Answers ]

We got a dozen eggs from our neighbor, his father's chickens had produced more than they could all use. I'm wondering how long I can expect them to last - and how long is too long for keeping them. Also, is there a way to tell when an egg has gone bad? Thank you!

The Book Animal Farm [ 5 Answers ]

So I have a test and I basically have no idea what the book is on, because I didn't read it lol. Anyone want to help?? Hahaa;)

What is this old animated film about a dog in a farm called? [ 1 Answers ]

This film was about a fat white or yellow dog, that went to a farm. He wore a tie and walked on two legs. He had a friend, which was a border collie (Black and white, I believe) and he liked this collie dog, who was pretty. Later, in the end of the movie, the fat dog and the collie had puppies. It...

Animals [ 1 Answers ]

What is an animal that starts with the letter "x"

Animals [ 2 Answers ]

My cat was diagnosed with a lung infection. Does litter box dust or litter box deodorizers cause this problem? She is also having some type of breathing attack. Her breathing is heavy and when she has these attacks she is gasping for breath. The vet prescribed CLAVAMOX. She is an older cat over...

View more questions Search