Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Are YOU an organ donor?
    I was watching a program on Discovery Health (or something similar) the other day that was discussing the benefits of stem cells for aiding in repairing injuries and advancing the medical field. It got me thinking about how, with stem cell advancement, we could grow organs in a lab, and not have an organ shortage for those who need transplants. But, considering many people question the ethics of stem cell research and the technology isn't quite there yet, it's still prohibitive. So what's the solution? Organ donation.

So I wonder - how many of you are organ donors? What made you decide to be an organ donor, or decide not to be an organ donor?

I lost my father to hepatitis C; he was awaiting a transplant. His doctor said over and over again that we would not have an organ shortage if people had to opt OUT of organ donation rather than opt IN (on your driver's license form). Also if people were more educated about the life saving techniques even when you are an organ donor in the hospital, it might make a difference. I agree with him completely, what do you think? Should you automatically be an organ donor unless you opt OUT (remember, family gets final say no matter what)?

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic's site about organ donation with some info, if anyone cares to check it out.

Organ Donation
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 27, 2007, 09:15 AM
    I don't have my license yet but ill give my organs. I mean if I'm dead then so be it, have my parts who cares. If it saves lives why not? Many people think they are better than others and they should not have there parts. Well I'm not like that, and I'd be happier knowing I'm savign lives when I'm dead. You get to live on in a way.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Thanks, sGt; you have a similar outlook to my own. I don't need them anymore, why not give them to someone who does?

FYI - even if you don't have your license, you can obtain an organ donor card; that way your family is well aware of your wishes in case of an emergency.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 12:55 PM
    I have made my bequest to my state's School of Medicine at the University of North Dakota. When I die, my body goes to them. They can donate what is good and use the rest for study. When all is done, my body is cremated and ashes sent back to my family.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
    shy, that's an excellent choice as well - you're contributing to education, which is so important, as well as donating useful organs to those who need them.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 01:43 PM
    I have been an organ donor since I was 16 (I'm now 25)... I have always been really into science, health, and medicine... if my organs or research done on my body can help save lives I don't see anyone's reason not to! :D
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Oct 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
    I'm an organ donor. If anything happened to me, I would want to help someone else live a good life. My best friend is on a waiting list for a bone marrow transplant. I'm not a match for her, we already checked. But, they think they found her one. She told me yesterday and I'm so happy for her.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
    I'm happy to hear so many people are donors. I know it's an individual choice, but when you have lost a loved one due to the shortage, it gets a little personal.

peggy I hope your friend found a match, it's my understanding bone marrow is a tough one to find. Good luck to her!

macksmom I've been a donor since I was about 16 too - I always figured I'll be dead, I don't need them!
    kimberley1964 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 10:58 AM
    My mother passed away 4 years ago. She did not have anything to state about organ donation when she died suddenly. My mother was a wonderful person in life and we decided that she would have wanted to donate her organs. In doing so she saved the lives of 4 people. At the moment that I'm writing this I am in the process of being a living donor for my cousin who has liver cancer. I am donating my organs when I die and I asked the transplant doctor if I would still be able to donate my liver when I pass. He had never been asked this before. My liver will be OK for organ donation when I die he assured me. If anyone reading this has not yet signed that organ donation card or ok'd it on their drivers licence do so now or it might be to late. It is a wonderful gift you can give to someone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Organ choir church music [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know where to find calm quiet organ music, like church music, or choir hymns. The perfect example is Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus K 618. Please help if you know of any good albums or locations to find MP3, etc.

Led Zeppelin's In the light (Organ intro version) Can't find it [ 2 Answers ]

I heard this version of in the light that sounds better then the one I have on cd. It started with an organ intro and had this 60's sound to it but I can't find it anywhere.

View more questions Search