Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lschoeggl Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Oct 27, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Gurgling in pipes after all toilets flush
    What causes pipes to make a moaning/gurgling sound after flushing toilets? And how can I fix it? We live in a 107-year old house and have lived here for the past three years. About a month or so, we started to hear our pipes after flushing the toilets. You can hear the sound from one of the bathrooms, which has an inexplicable drain in the floor (the primary source of the noise). It basically sounds like you can hear the water/waste gushing down the pipes. The sound starts after the toilet bowl has completely emptied. We hear the noise in the same place (which is on the second story and the only place you hear it) regardless of whether we are flushing a toilet on the first, second, or third stories. We have four toilets and it makes the sound for every single one (making the most sound with the third story, presumably because it has further to go). Why would this suddenly start happening and how can we determine what's gone wrong and fix it? THANK YOU!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2007, 09:11 AM
    What causes pipes to make a moaning/gurgling sound after flushing toilets? And how can I fix it?
    Your pipes are attempting to vent through the fixture traps. Check the vent pipes for a clog and snake and clear the vent you find clogged. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Can you safely walk around on your roof, that's the best place to rod the vent stack. Use enough rod to reach roof to basement floor and then 10-15' more rod.

Oct 29, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Thank you for your quick responses!
    As a follow-up question -- how urgent is this repair? In other words, how long do I have before something really gets out of hand? We do have good roof access but we have three stories and the first and second have 9-10' ceilings, so we'll need a much longer snake/rod than we have! Is this a common repair that plumbers are called out for, and is it generally costly?
    THANK YOU!

Oct 31, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Just checking back again to see if anyone can tell me how serious of a problem this is and how long we can leave it as-is before it gets much more complicated to fix. Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 10:37 AM
    How serious? If everything is still draining you are just partially block so your house isn't going fall apart tonight. However, the partial block built up over time, once there is a partial blockage it will collect debris faster and faster, eventually leading to a complete backup. That will be pretty messy and stinky and usually at the most inopportune time. It is a common repair issue for plumbers and most all will have the proper tools. Cost varies depending on where you live but the service call and time will likely be about $250 if there are no other issues found. Most plumber will give you a ballpark estimate for rodding the vent stack.

Nov 1, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing...

Toilets don't flush at the same time [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a new house only 1 1/2 years old no basement and one story 2000 sqare feet. We have two toilets. On occasion one toilet gets stuffed and does not flush properly occasionally both tolitets at the same time do the same. Ive snaked it many times and get it work for a while, but ihappens...

Toilets gurgling/backing up/smells [ 1 Answers ]

I have had plumbers and the city waste department but no help they tell me it is the others problem. My downstairs 3 toilets start gurgling, then the water level drops then rises quickly causing over flow. My shower and tub downstairs then fill up. The city guy came this morning and told me the...

Toilets fill with water but will not flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets which are back to back on either side of a wall. I am experiencing occasional problems with both toilets flushing. I have a convntional septic system and the tank was cleaned out about two years ago before I purchaced the home. I called the company who cleaned it and asked if...

Gurgling Noise In Pipes [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard a noise for the past month in my water lines, in the wall where the main water shut-off is located. However, it is not constant. It is a humming/gurgling noise in my lines. Im thinking that it originates from my main water shutoff point, because when you put your hand on the valve, you...

View more questions Search