Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    finchamc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Cut off saw----Miter saw
    Can you put a metal wheel on a miter saw to cut metal without destroying your compound miter saw. I understand that the sparks will cause problems to the plastic guards. But is there any other problems associated with doing this. I have a 12 in Craftsman. I want to cut metal. But I hate to buy a cut off saw if I could transform this into a cut off saw.
    Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:01 PM
    There are metal cutting wheels that you can put on most saws. I have done this frequently when cutting spring steel for small folk musical instruments that I make. I don't know how thick the metal is that you are wanting to cut. That might be an issue to other components of the saw. When you are cutting metal, the metal gets incredibly hot. The spring steel that I cut is very thin. It doesn't take long to cut it.

I have not put a metal cutting blade on my miter saw. But, I have put one on my table saw.

How thick is the metal that you are wanting to cut? Are you also wanting to cut miters in the metal? How fast does your miter saw rotate?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 06:18 AM
    I would suggest purchasing a cut off saw. The heat produced by the metal being cut could cause irrepairable damages to the saw unit itself. And as far as the plastic shield goes, it would probably make it to where it would ruin the visibility of the guard. If you enjoy woodworking as I do, you should not use the compound miter saw for metal cutting. How much metal are you going to be cutting? Is this going to be a hobby, or is this a one time task you are going to be performing? The reason I ask this is because I have always figured if a man needs to borrow a tool one time, that is one thing, if you need to borrow the same tool twice, you need to own that particular tool. And I realize you are not asking about borrowing a tool here, I am saying if it is just going to be a simple small task, you may wish to rent, or borrow a cutoff saw and protect your other saw. If this is not the case, buy yourself a good cutoff saw that will last you a long time. Some units are high in price, but will outlast you if they are properly maintained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why Do I cut? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm old and still stupid. Well 20. Recently I can't seem to deal with anything and I get so depressed and sad at times. Unhappy with appearance (weight) don't know how it came to this, feel used by men. Had friend with benefits hoped it would develop into relationship but he just wants sex.When I'm...

Sharpening a miter saw blade [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sharpen a 10" miter saw blade? Is it easy to do? Or is it easy to mess up :) Kind of on a tight budget so would like to avoid buying a new one if I can. Thanks!

Cut her loose or cut her slackj [ 3 Answers ]

Dude, this sounds bad, but my friend is hott(not in a lesbo way), and she is friends with all the guys. But whenever she tries to help out a friend, they always endup liking her! It really ticks me off because all the guys love her and I really don't need her taking the only guy I got! She always...

View more questions Search