Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heather-payton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Moving with my child out of state with no custody order.
    Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I I could take my daughter to Washington considering me and her father have no custody order or visitation.. Is there anything he can do in stopping me if I just bring her with me?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
    You could get in trouble if you move the child out of state without full legal custody if he decides one day to pursue custody, and he could file kidnapping charges and stuff like that.

I would suggest going to the courthouse and finding out about getting full legal custody.
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 26, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Getting full custody and approval to move is certainly the best thing to do.

However, I am not sure that even if he filed for custody AFTER you moved, if you two had never been to court for anything BEFORE the move, if you'd be charged with anything.

I'd call local attorneys who deal with family law and see one who gives a free consultation. They could advise you better than anyone.

Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act

What state do you currently live in? You'd need to know their laws about custody, moving, visitations, etc.

Has paternity been established?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Hello Heather:

In the absence of any legal award of custody to the contrary, YOU have custody and you can move anywhere you like WITHOUT worry of being arrested. Believe me, you AREN'T kidnapping your child.

IF there was a custody ORDER that you're violating, then yes, you can be busted.

Can he stop you?? Not without a custody ORDER. But he can get one and very possibly bring you back to the state.

excon
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 06:22 AM
    excon is right... if there is no court order stating otherwise... you can move wherever you want.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 06:24 AM
    If he's aware of your intention to move out-of-state and is opposed to it, he can take you to court and attempt to get an order of custody and/or visitation, which could limit your options as far as relocating.
    brandiginn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
    You can't be charged with kidnapping your own child unless there is a custody order that you are violating. Typically if you are in you new state for 6 months you and child are considered residents and any legal proceedings have to be done it that state, he can't drag you back to the state you were in. But, this can hold true for him too, it wouldn't be kidnapping if he took her either, so if you move, you should definitely file for custody soon after you get there to keep him from taking her back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out of state with child in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas, what is the penalty if the wife moves out of state with the children with out telling the husband?

Moving out of state with child [ 6 Answers ]

If I have primary custody of my daughter and I am getting married to someone who's job is transferring him out of state, can I move with my daughter?:confused: The father is not in agreeance with this, but I have no choice but to move because of the relocation.

Moving a child out of state [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to move my daughter out of state. Her father and his family are not the best influence for her life. Her father and I were never married. I am getting married in one month and my fiancé has two great job opportunities out of state. Any suggestions, advice, or anyone have experience...

Moving out of state with my child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just got a divorce, and I want to move out of state, to better myself and my son lifes, my husband doesn't really have much connects with our son but he is saying if I leave I will be in trouble what do I do.

Child custody - moving to another state [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 15 and she and her mother are moving to another state. She has never lived with me and I saw her only 4 hours a week. Do I have legal recourse to have her spend extended time with me? Can I prevent the move? At 15, 16 in May 2007, does she have the right to decide>

View more questions Search