Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjbrooks38556 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Dashhound
    I have a ? I have two dogs one is a chuha. And the other is a dashound and my dashound is beging to get really adgrv. Toword my chuha. And they are both males they used to play and do lot of things together with fightting and I don't want to get rid of eather of them. What can I do .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Have they been neutered? That will go long way to calm them down and get rid of the aggression.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Neutering is an important step, but it is no cure all. You need to give them proper leadership.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Both neutering and solid leadership are of equal importance to getting this negative behavior under control if you want to keep both dogs. If you don't do these things, the negative behavior will only escalate.
    acoston Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbrooks38556
    i have a ? i have two dogs one is a chuha. and the other is a dashound and my dashound is beging to get really adgrv. toword my chuha. and they are both males they used to play and do lot of things together with fightting and i don't want to get rid of eather of them. what can i do .
    I disagree! While neutering does help some, the aggressiveness is a result of the breed itself. Daschunds are jealous dogs by nature. On top pf that they are stubborn! So when they feel they are not the center of attention or you are not paying attention to them, they get either whiny or aggressive. My 2 year old Daschund Oscar does both. When my husband comes home from work and hugs/kisses me hello Oscar goes crazy jumping and whining because he is not being paid attention to. He gets aggressive when we are simply on the couch together!

I would recommend putting him in "time out" in his cage for 5 minutes or so when he gets aggressive. This has does wonders for Oscar! He is learning that it is naughty to act in such a way and has calmed down a lot.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Acoson, just as an FYI, dogs don't get "jealous" in the way we are accustomed to the word. I have never met a well trained dachshund that has this problem, so I beg to differ with you stating that this is in their nature. The ones I have encountered were very sweet dogs and not at all stubborn. Your Oscar is definitely exhibiting signs that he either believes he is already the alpha male to your alpha female in your "pack",or he is challenging your husband for that pack ranking. You might want to take a closer look at labman's info regarding leadership. I will let labman comment about your "time out" approach if he feels the need. "Time out" is not a training technique that I use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dashhound back trouble [ 4 Answers ]

My dashhound got down in his lower back.taken him to vet he did surgeryon him said he had a disc pressing on a nerve on his spine . Vet said surgery was a success if it was why isn't he walking it's like he has no feelings in the back legs. Has anyone ever had this to happen to their dog? If so...

View more questions Search